Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 831

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

ILFORD Replies / DELTA 25 asa

Dear All,

At long last I have had the chance to get the 'full heads up' from our marketing director, I have to tell you its not the news I guess you were all hoping for.

ILFORD Delta 25 will not be made in the forseeable future ( but never say never ) and the explanation just issued is as follows.

'Significant work has been carried out technically and in respect of market place positioning of a 25 asa film from ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

The expected full R&D, time to launch and manufacturability for an entirely new controlled crystal growth 25 asa 120 and 35mm film has been estimated at 18 months to two years. To recoup the cost of this would require a film costing significantly more than the current DELTA 100 and DELTA 400 emulsions. As we also make a 50 asa conventional emulsion film ( PAN F + ) the market research clearly indicates that we would see the sales of this product reduce significantly, especially against a back drop of all film sales not growing.

Therefore marketing have decided that we will serve the end user better by keeping our current range INCLUDING PAN F + , rather than introduce a more expensive film at 25 asa and have to cease making PAN F+ ' .

I have to say, I do agree with them, I know how many people use and like PAN F + and I would not want to see it go and 'replaced' by a much higher cost film.

I am sure many of you would have loved to see this film, I would have as well, I am sorry that it was just not viable at this time for ILFORD Photo.

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Makes sense, Simon. Thanks for the update.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Makes sense. I've become a real fan of Pan-F and find it is replacing my use of T-Max 100 and Plus-X.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Pan-F is a unique and fine product. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    any chance of pan f in 4x5 ?

Shooter
    35mm
    To be honest I never really saw the photography rationale let alone the commercial rationale, given Pan F and D100 both of which are capable of further fine grain at EI 25 and EI 50 in Perceptol.

Presumably the quest for even finer grain is based on enlargement beyond that possible with 35mm in such combos above. However beyond a certain point such a quest leads to MF or even LF as the better options.

Like the rest, thanks Simon for the announcement and rationale.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there any other company one can think of that is as straightforward and open even with 'bad' news than Ilford as represented by Simon?? What a revelation in corporate honesty. It's truly rare and refreshing.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Makes complete sense.

As long as their is FP4 and HP5 I am happy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon, since you have decided to stick with Pan F, is there any chance you could find a way to make it compatible with a sheet film base? Solving that problem might be easier than the research and development which you projected for a Delta 25 film, and then you would have Pan F available throughout the line, not just in roll film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thanks to Ilford simply for the time, effort, and expense involved in giving the project a chance, even if it didn't come to fruition, and to Simon for keeping film users in the loop.

Lee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin