Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,678   Online: 1136

Shooter
    4x5 Format

"Dallas Darkroom" goes digital

They're moving to a new location and "leaving their studio and darkroom" behind. They are liquidating their darkroom equipment.

www.dallasdarkroom.com

I wonder wonder if they'll change their name as well?

The above link takes you to their site where they don't mention their move. Sorry. If you sign up for the newsletter you'll see the announcement. There may be some good deals to be had at the "darkroom garage sale".
    Last edited by Changeling1; 06-06-2007 at 08:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another One Bytes The Dust

Pity.

Dianna just told me Arlington Camera (also serving the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in Texas) has stopped selling film altogether. I hope that's not true, but I fear it might be. wow.

I went into Denton's Film Depot yesterday.. actually several days before that. They've got "summer hours" which amounts to being open for a few hours only on Tues, Wed and Thursday. They had one bottle of Ilford rapid fix left, no sodium sulphite, and the only Dektol they had was a pretty ancient 1-quart envelope of powder. I bought the former and the latter.

I really would like to give first preference for my dollars to local brick and mortars, but it's getting harder and harder.

I had a lot more written after this, but I deleted it since it might incite another boring digital/analog pissing match.

-KwM-

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Dallas Darkroom update

Michael Blackwell of Dallas Darkroom sent this reply when I asked about his workshops going 100% digital. I'm glad to know his personal work will remain traditional and accept the fact that he has a business to run.

Jim:
    My personal work will still be traditional B&W - the galleries that show my
    work only accept traditional images - digital and fine-art don't mix yet.
    99% of my commercial business is digital and 99% of our students want
    digital classes - the darkroom is simply too expensive to keep open for the
    high school kids that come in to finish their projects.

We aren't giving up on traditional photography - just not offering it to the
    public any longer.

Michael
    --
    Dallas Darkroom
    11837 Judd Court
    Suite 120
    Dallas, Tx 75243
    469-330-7111
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kevin-

Film Depot is going through a consolidation right now which I think explains the current poor selection in Denton. They are consolidating their Dallas and Plano stores into a single location in Richardson, next door to BWC. I know they have been working on it for a while and they may just be letting the Denton store falter a little while they get the other two locations moved. I will definitely show up at the Dallas Darkroom garage sale. They had a great deal on a 4x5 jobo tank at their last one and I regret not picking up. They have an ad on Craigslist Dallas with all the details for the sale next month.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin