Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,471   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Wratten filters cut to size?

I've recently received a quote from a company in the UK to cut x3 100mm filters, however they want me to buy 3 of each!

Which companies in the US or elsewhere cut Wratten/ B&W/ CC filters?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean Wratten gelatin filters? (Surely not?) But if you do, could you tell us a bit more about why you want Wratten filters (instead of Wratten 2 or Lee polyester etc) and why you can't cut them yourself? If you mean glass filters, what size do you need them cutting to? Circular or rectangular?

Thanks,
    Helen

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    Which companies in the US or elsewhere cut Wratten/ B&W/ CC filters?

I'm not sure what you are asking for.

`Wratten´ is a brand name!
    It originates from a company of the same name producing filters by dying gelatine. That company was bought by Kodak (1912?) who still pruduce filters giving them the designation of `Wratten followed by a number´.

Concerning your other posts, could it be you refer by Wratten to IR-filters?

Filters made out of dyed polyester are typically used blank and can be cut by means of a knife or pair of scissors (best while enveloped in their protective cover).
    The same way dyed gelatine filters can be cut. However, due to their great sensitivity to moisture they are often laminated between optical glass. This is done by specialized companies. Cutting those further down to size would be a critical task more difficult than using a pair of scissors.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Cutting those further down to size would be a critical task more difficult than using a pair of scissors.
    Be fun trying, though...

Cheers,

R.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, those laminated filters should be cut the same way as any unhardened film-laminated glass, scratching it on both sides and breaking it. Due to them being so delicate I would not be eager to do it. One could use a rotating diamond powder saw too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary,

SRB-Griturn in the UK supply a large filter range. They obtained some 150mm Polyester ND filters from Lee for me which did not appear in the Lee catalogue. Worth asking...

http://www.srb-griturn.com/

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lee don't have all the filters I need. I'm looking for the following in 100mm square:
    89B (Infra red)
    Wratten 44
    Wratten 80B

I'll check out the information people provided.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still not quite sure what you are looking for:
    A certain filter characteristic in a certain size or in addition a certain construction of the filter.

Why not look for mineral filters (coloured glass)? The Schott glass RG 695 is comparable to the the Wratten 89B.
    Inquire at Heliopan or B&W (via J.Schneider).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    Lee don't have all the filters I need. I'm looking for the following in 100mm square:
    89B (Infra red)
    Wratten 44
    Wratten 80B

I'll check out the information people provided.
    I looked for a 100mm square 89B for some time. I believe that Cokin are the only other manufacturer, apart from Kodak, of these in 100mm square (Cokin Z007).

Lee make an 80B.

It looks like only Kodak make the 44 ...

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004UW8

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've found the Wratten 44 filters in B&H, I wasn't aware that they had been re-released as Wratten 2. Cokin have released the Z series - I normally avoid that brand....problem solved thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin