Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,356   Online: 926

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's a note in this months Shutterbug about Agfa consumer film coming back for sale. Apparently new stuff.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    There's a note in this months Shutterbug about Agfa consumer film coming back for sale. Apparently new stuff.
    I would need to hear this from a better source than Shutterbug before believing it.

Don't forget that although the AgfaPhoto group in Leverkusen is gone, the AgfaPhoto name is still very much around. It was purchased by an investors group and they can put whatever they want in those boxes.

There are, after all, film makers like Lucky or Ferrania that have loads of excess capacity and are seeking additional channels for finished products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    The key to success in silver-based photo imaging it would seem is to be small and lean, such as how Ilford has structured itself, or Foma. If the Agfa/Gevaert operation can get small enough in its overhead, it too could be successful in film production, as the Agfa name has very good reputation for quality film and paper.
    I don't know if it's overhead per se...I'm more inclined to believe it's simply having the right amount of production capacity and the ability to run it consistently in order to be proftiable.

Kentmere, which is said to have "a rich uncle", re-did their coating facility several years ago. Kodak moved all their B&W production to a new facility. But I don't know what the state of Foma might be.

The bottom line, I think is, if you are a B&W film or paper maker that expects to survive - you better have the right size production facility or a means of acquiring the capital to get there. It might be...problematic, to be able to acquire that capital now.
    Last edited by aldevo; 06-17-2007 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting article AgX. When you say Bayer at one point around 1964 got hold of all the photographic materials manufacturers in (West) Germany, did that include Tura? I know in their last years they were just rebadging other people's products (mainly Agfa although the C41 B&W film appeared to be Ilford's XP2) and cutting materials for Maco etc. But I thought prior to that they did coat their own stuff? Certainly their website used to give that impression coupled with a photograph of what appeared to be a factory complex.

Regarding the survival of Kentmere, I understand they have another line of business in that they make cardboard packaging including the boxes for their own photographic papers. This probably helped them stay financially OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been told that there are still a substantial number of master rolls of Agfa materials sitting in refrigerated cold store in Europe somewhere. These were purchased by someone at the demise of Agfa and are awaiting the proper time for slitting, chopping and finishing.

Maybe this is the source???

IDK, and I cannot confirm the stories I have heard.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brac,

Actually you did the same mistake as I when I wrote that post and was speaking of the `photochemical industry´, but before posting it I realized that I was wrong and corrected it to `film manufacturers´.
    Concerning Tura, or rather their successor, I assume they do not produce anything at all anymore, just doing sales now and cutting film to size. Maco stated, via an article on them that their Rollei branded 35mm films are cut there. As far as I know Tura coated only paper.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Agfa stated that they have purchased some masterrolls? of aerofilms from AgfaPhoto.

Maco stated to my understanding that they have purchased Agfapan thick base masterrolls from AgfaPhoto.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

new colour emulsion facility

Well, sometimes one gets information on nearby places from overseas… This is not from Mortsel but from Agfa New Jersey, dated (sorry for the delay) end 2006/early2007:

[Agfa has a]… newly constructed, state-of-the art, color emulsion manufacturing facility, built for the continued production of color aerial films and color cinematography films. Completed a year ahead of schedule, the facility is now in active production, and all aerial product production is now being handled at the Belgium factory, including color and black & white aerial film, as well as copy films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that is the one in the US, it was sold for scrap nearly a year ago, before even being started. I had pictures sent to me by someone who saw it and thought I might want to see the pictures. It was a very nice plant.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still use my Agfa Billy-Record often Agfa is not dead to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin