Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,830   Online: 818

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just a quick update on this new Velvia 50. I have now shot a few sheets against 'classic' RVP50 in early morning light. The results are virtually indistinguishable - except that I did use ISO50 for the new and ISO40 for the old. Haven't done any scans yet and really not any point since they are that close on the lightbox.

Early days yet, but much more upbeat than when trying out RVP100. Good news alround. Still have a few hundred sheets of the 'Classic' in the freezer to shoot first.

The base curls less when processing too, not that this affects image or those who lab process, but is an issue when arranging film out of the tank onto my drying holder. In fact it proved the easiest way of determining which was which!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford View Post
    Just a quick update on this new Velvia 50. I have now shot a few sheets against 'classic' RVP50 in early morning light. The results are virtually indistinguishable - except that I did use ISO50 for the new and ISO40 for the old. Haven't done any scans yet and really not any point since they are that close on the lightbox.

Early days yet, but much more upbeat than when trying out RVP100. Good news alround. Still have a few hundred sheets of the 'Classic' in the freezer to shoot first.

The base curls less when processing too, not that this affects image or those who lab process, but is an issue when arranging film out of the tank onto my drying holder. In fact it proved the easiest way of determining which was which!!!
    Thanks for the update Baxter. Still trying to get it here in the US. I heard they were giving away rolls of 35mm Velvia in San Diego, CA a few weeks ago, but haven't seen anything about it being on the shelves here yet. I still have a small stash of the old 50, so I'm not totally lost.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just Film in San Francisco has the new Velvia 50 in 120. I plan on getting some and trying it out next week!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to hear your results Baxter. Especially happy about the sturdier base. I just had curly lab-processed sheets again recently - nuisance when it comes to making prints.

The gen iso 50 will be a benefit, but most of all looking forward to the colour pallet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I was able to obtain a few (35mm) rolls of this newly-re-released emulsion and here are a few shots (taken with an Olympus OM-10) :

It *seems* to me that this modern, updated emulsion is a tiny bit kinder with skin tones than the previous one. It also seems less intense with the reds, but as with the original, green and blue are quite pronounced.
    It looks so to me too, I wouldn't have expected to to get such an acceptable skin tone from Velvia 50, it's good to know at pinch you can shoot people with it without making them look like boiled lobsters.
    Ben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin