Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,572   Online: 1095

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, how about ballpark? What I am getting at is that there are very stable industries worldwide today with (what I am guessing) are fractions of worldwide black and white film sales...now, having said that, I am not familiar with size of plant/minimum production/overhead etc. to make it profitable, but I suspect that there is still 'enough' worldwide demand so as not to 'sound the alarm'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, just this year another photo company (B&W only) went out of business. Kodak and Ilford seem to be holding their own. That is all I can say. This is in the face of the fact that Ilford does not publish data and Kodak won't talk. So, my data have to come from "donors". Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For someone who just purchased a LF camera/lens with more stuff needed, this is bothersome. Makes one pause and think. Makes me wander just how much more money I should be willing to spend to get my new life in LF up and running. For now, I will not let the thought of this rule my decisions.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well my, my, insn't this a cheery thread..

I have Technidol and Rodinal stashed, but only 5 1 gallon packets for fixer.

I shoot a little bit of B&W for now since I am up to my neck in a color project, but I plan to ramp it up in the next 5 years...

What are we going to do in 10-20 year's time?

I want to be shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    C'mon, guys... is it sooooo hard to find sodium thiosulfate as a raw chemical around your town ? I can find it very easilly here, at least for the moment... I can also buy dangerous chemicals that are (theoretically) banned...

If ever sodium thiosulphate cannot be found, isn't there a way to MAKE it, using other chemicals that are easier to get ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, just this year another photo company (B&W only) went out of business. Kodak and Ilford seem to be holding their own. That is all I can say. This is in the face of the fact that Ilford does not publish data and Kodak won't talk. So, my data have to come from "donors". Sorry.

PE
    That was the general impression from the Marketing Director on the recent Ilford tour as well, holding their own nicely but admitted it's been a little tricky to gauge what the market's doing because there's an element of picking up business from other companies that have pulled out of the black and white market.

He did also point out that they they're a bit more agile with a multi-product coating line coating all of their film and paper products.

David.
    Last edited by dsullivan; 06-26-2007 at 07:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Unclear sentence

Shooter
    35mm
    As long as Ilford can continue to make a profit selling materials, they will produce. I am a 100% Ilford user (with the exception of other manufacturers' products which I still have in stock; when they are gone, they will be replaced with the equivalent Ilford product), and intend to support them, one-hundred per cent.

They are, so to speak a "one-trick: pony. And that's not meant to be a slur, not at all!! They have commited themselves to manufacturing B&W materials, with no sideline business to fall back on, in case of hard times. Kind of reminds me of a farmer I met a few years ago, who told me that he and his wife had no income, except from their farm. Nobody in their household worked outside the farm, so it was all or nothing for them, too.

And so it is with Ilford, down there on the photo farm, as it were...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My local university built three new darkrooms in 2005 and black and white is a required year long part of the course - the first part of the course, actually. I believe this is what's supporting the 3 photography stores in my rather small city, but when I see the trade so prominently displayed I can't get too gloomy about things. I can still buy hundreds of dollars of film on demand, I can still buy paper and chemicals off the shelf, and even new bulk loaders and film canister openers. While there's demand they will be products, and the next generation is being educated. I'm not imagining any of my cameras are gonna become historical artifacts sitting on my shelf any time soon.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And here in Rochster, with the big photo school at RIT, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get analog photo products.

As for darkroom work, RIT will not allow students to process their own color because "the chemicals are too dangerous". This I was told by the students who work at the "Campus Connection" photo store there.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analogfotog View Post
    They are, so to speak a "one-trick: pony. And that's not meant to be a slur, not at all!! They have commited themselves to manufacturing B&W materials, with no sideline business to fall back on, in case of hard times.
    Harman are producing inkjet paper with a baryta base at the high price, high quality end of the market. I haven't seen any mention of it, or link to it, on www.ilfordphoto.com. This is not the same inkjet paper that is sold as Ilford inkjet paper by Ilford Imaging Switzerland / Oji Paper Co.

Best,
    Helen

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin