Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,698   Online: 918

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Latest Sales Information

I get information from mulitple sources on the current status of film and chemical sales. Here is the latest, unconfirmed material from reputable sources. I cannot confirm them nor give you more accurate information.

1. B&W film sales continue to decrease WW.

2. Color film sales hold steady for the time being, mainly bolstered by Motion Picture film sales.

3. Chemical sales are taking a hit due to changes in policy by the major manufacturers and their distributors and by increasing HAZMAT charges. This is hurting the use of analog photography everywhere. This last one has been a killer for me. I can't get Kodak fixer locally anymore very easily. They have to place a rather large order to minimize shipping from the new distribution center and to minimize the HAZMAT charge. KRLF contains sulfuric acid.

4. The government is considering adding new chemicals to the HAZMAT list or the DEA list due to growing concerns over terrorism and the distribution of toxic chemistry. Limits are now placed on sodium and potassium hydroxide solutions, nitric acid, and phenol due to their use in making explosives and drugs. It is illegal to buy flasks and beakers in some states now. The list continues, but the noose tightens thereby.

This all saddens me deeply.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is illegal to buy flasks and beakers in some states now. The list continues, but the noose tightens thereby.
    This is just stupid. I don't know what else to say. There's a thread in the Soapbox about the War on Science. That thread focuses on religion as being the anti-dote to science. Politics, fear and bureaucracy is adding to the mix.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

4. The government is considering adding new chemicals to the HAZMAT list or the DEA list due to growing concerns over terrorism and the distribution of toxic chemistry. Limits are now placed on sodium and potassium hydroxide solutions, nitric acid, and phenol due to their use in making explosives and drugs. It is illegal to buy flasks and beakers in some states now. The list continues, but the noose tightens thereby...
    What about diesel and fuel oil? Either can be used in the manufacture of one of the most popular explosives, not to mention their role in the refining of certain narcotics...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We are all going paranoid.

And that PE has a hard time to get Kodak Fixer in Rochester... It's so weird.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    What about diesel and fuel oil? Either can be used in the manufacture of one of the most popular explosives, not to mention their role in the refining of certain narcotics...
    Forget that stuff. Plenty of stuff in the grocery store that can kill :o

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    B&H as well as others have always shipped TF4 fixer.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps the lack of B/W labs and processing is hurting B/W film sales; not everyone can (or wants to) process at home. I think the reversal kits for Tmax have been a tough to ship item for a few years. At least there are alternatives like DR5 processing. I wonder if some of the shipping restrictions will affect Bostick & Sullivan. On a good note, I saw a sun printing kit at Barnes & Nobles the other day; which I think was a cyanotype kit.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Forget that stuff. Plenty of stuff in the grocery store that can kill :o
    Don't I know it...

The problem is that "those in charge" don't, and if they did they'd ban it.

Except that they ought to know that the most used explosive in the world is AnFo, and they can't ban either component and hope for another term in office...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Perhaps the lack of B/W labs and processing is hurting B/W film sales; not everyone can (or wants to) process at home. I think the reversal kits for Tmax have been a tough to ship item for a few years. At least there are alternatives like DR5 processing. I wonder if some of the shipping restrictions will affect Bostick & Sullivan. On a good note, I saw a sun printing kit at Barnes & Nobles the other day; which I think was a cyanotype kit.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Anyone with normal range of motion. water, a dark space for loading, a tank with reels, and the chemicals can process b&W 35mm and 120. LF is more complicated. If forced, you could do without the tank and reels and use a bucket with the chemicals in the dark. It is entirely possible that someone chooses not to process their own film, of course.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think only a few pro labs have done B&W in this city for 20+ years. I can't remember when you could drop off B&W at the local drug store etc and get back prints.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin