Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,033   Online: 752

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Start by compiling the products available at B&H, Freestyle, Silverprint, Retrophotographic, Fotoimpex, FotoHuis, etc, and you're 99% of the way there.

But before you do that, I would say: think about your data structure. What information do you want, and how do you want to tabulate it? Coater, manufacturer, packager, reseller, are all vaguely related and sometimes criss-crossing categories.

Perhaps "emulsion" would be a good informational unit. Base and format comes next. Brand names are irrelevant, in a way, especially with the eastern european mish-mash.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even going by "emulsion" is tough as Maco's/Rollei's products have changed, and sometimes changed maker, but kept the same name, and others are hotly disputed as to who produced what and when.

As for Kodak, there's a fairly complete historical list by film number already on the web, but it doesn't capture lots of special run films. I have three Kodak emulsions that are completely different but share one of their "special order" emulsion numbers that got re-used year to year.

I think the project is do-able, but will be a pain to figure out a simple format.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never ever saw a list which seriously was intended to be complete...
    Though I would appreciate such.
    I myself tried to trace the manufacturers still around and keep just the films updated which would interest me somewhat.

But it's not only the manufacturers, from some material some amounts will still be around at some dealers or as surplus in serious amounts. To consider all this would take a huge amount of effort. I personally would only consider such a list if I would be sure that it regularly (twice a month?) would be controlled by someone who knows his way around.

Utopia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mhv, that's a good point about the brand names.

I was thinking, taking the eastern european "mish-mash" that you mention into account, that the actual emulsion on the film would have to be noted.
    To me, however, it'd make sense to list it by brand name, with the actual film in the emulsion category.

For example, say that Arista.EDU 100 is really Delta 100 (I don't know if it is or not, just an example), it would be listed as

Film name: Arista.EDU 100
    Distributor: Arista
    Emulsion: Ilford Delta 100

For the films that are not re-branded, the emulsion and distributor fields could be left blank, or noted that they are not relevant.

A suggestion of categories:

• Film Name
    • ISO Speed
    • Distributor
    • Emulsion
    • Base
    • Formats
    • Packaging
    • Product Status

Film name I believe is self-explanatory.
    ISO speed (we should list DIN as well for those folks who use it), should be self-explanatory as well.

Distributor would be who sells the film by that name. For, say, Tri-X or HP5+, this would be Kodak or Ilford, respectively. For something along the lines of the Arista films or the [former] J&C Products, this would be Arista or J&C.

Emulsion, as mentioned, would be the actual emulsion of the film. If the example above were to be true [once again, I dunno if it is], the emulsion listed for Arista.EDU 100 would be "Ilford Delta 100".

Base, which may be unnecessary, would be the type / thickness of the base that the film is coated on.

Formats, once again, is probably self explanatory. It would simply be a list of what formats the film is available in. (8mm, Super8, 16mm, 135, 120, 4x5, 5x7, etc.)

Packaging is not the right word, and may be an unnecessary category as well. I'm not sure how to say it in general, but I can explain it. For example, is the film only available in single rolls? Can you buy 5- or 10-packs, are there bulk 135 rolls? As I said, not of utmost importance, but nice.

By product status, I'm getting at the current status of the film distribution and manufacturing-wise. In other words, is it in current production (like Tri-X or HP5+, for example), is it a discontinued film with stocks remaining (like the AGFA APX film of your choice), is it unknown (like some of the Eastern European products that seem to drift in and out of availability), is it in limited periodic production runs (like Konica IR750 towards its end of life), has the discontinuance been announced, and so on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the idea presented to comb the retailers for films. We first need a list of all currently manufactured films in all formats that we want to consider.

It would also be good to come up with a list of actual EMULSION manufacturers (not including those who are solely distributors).

Right off, I can think of:
    Kodak, Fuji, Ilford/HARMAN, AGFA, Polaroid, AGFA-Gevaert, Ferrania, Lucky China and Efke.

Possible:
    Foma, Forte, Adox/Efke, Rollei, Maco, Konica, Bergger, ORWO, [Tasma, Svema, Slavich]-From Russia, is there any info on these?

On the possible list, I'm either not sure that they're actually a manufacturer, or if they even exists

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning emulsion makers there are even more, but this is rather of academic interest as not all materials will be available.

Furthermore small dealers must be taken into account: let's say cutting to 9mm or offering colour IR in 60mm...
    This is going to be complex!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. Small dealers make this much harder. I'd think that it would be best to exclude them in the initial version; get the major films that most people use and or have heard about down, and then worry about the minor distributors or re-cutting operations.

Out of interest, thoug, AgX, how many emulsion manufacturers are we looking at?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a list that has most of what's been mentioned:

Film data index: film and notch codes, data sheets, available formats, and more

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well then.

Good job with that sheet!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin