Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 794

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    htmlguru,

Well, your list is quite complete. I first thought your second compilation was about rebranding or obsolete companies but later I realized that it included EFKE, Slavich, Foma and Tasma too. Add some Chinese companies and Filmotec who are said to coat too.
    Stating companies is a bit ambiguous to me, as there is another discussion going on at Apug concerning possible future film manufacturers. In this case companies coating solely graphic and X-ray material must be taken into account too. I leave them out, but rather draw your attention to paper coating companies. Should such a list not include photographic papers?

And again I refer to the small companies: As long as companies release some data-sheets it is not that a problem to find out about the origin of a material just by looking at what one has got in ones binders. (I was surprised however that after the release of some Rollei films their origin was not traced by others.) But getting to know who has what material in offer in some weird format or, more important, perforation, seems more difficult to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the idea about papers; there are probably more of those than films.

The small manufacturers are a good idea as well, as are the companies coating other silver-based products (X-Ray, Graphics, etc., as you mentioned).

This idea is becoming more of a comprehensive database of silver-based photo materials.

Some if the info on Nicolai's sheet is a tad out of date (some of the AGFA products and Maco products), but its certainly accurate and complete as of before the fall of AGFA.

Is anyone still interested in pursuing this farther?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
    I've got a list that has most of what's been mentioned:

Film data index: film and notch codes, data sheets, available formats, and more
    Very nice.

I believe there were two incarnations of Maco's 820c (made by Efke), besides the Aura version. The earlier one was slower to visible light, but I believe had about the same amount of IR sensitivity. I'm guesing your chart refers to the later one.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If such a list should be made. What better place would there be than Apug?

But...
    Doing this seriously would involve constant updating by people knowing what they are doing. I mean before someone would do some big order on some material he rather starts researching himself before employing some weird list. This controlled updating however needs some formalism, a working group or so. Something which is unfamiliar to this volatile group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The availability list is an occasionally recurring topic on APUG, and each time it fails to produce anything. To me such a list has a very limited purpose, and requires a lot of maintenance.

As I've said before on similar threads, availability is dependent on, well, how available the products are. I mean: if you can buy it, then it's available. Ergo, you're better served by a cursory look at the catalog of specialized film shops (Retrophoto, Silverprint) or of film-supportive generalists (Freestyle).

It doesn't take an eternity to cross-reference for oneself the list of brands names from a store catalog, to the websites of these companies in order to see what is being produced right now. Frankly, I prefer to go check Kodak's or Ilford's website for any information about their products, rather than rely on someone's list they haven't maintained in a while. Someone is PAID to maintain corporate websites.

Where I see the value is for the more specific purpose of distinguishing between rebranded products. The Arista line has always confused me. The eastern european products are sometimes hard to discriminate, although the demise of Forte is in fact simplifying it. The Rollei and Adox lines of films could use some clarifications here and there, though.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
    I've got a list that has most of what's been mentioned:

Film data index: film and notch codes, data sheets, available formats, and more
    Good job!

The only thing I can immediately see is missing is Kodak colour films in metric sizes - several of the Ektachrome versions are available in 9x12cm and/or 13x18cm (I use them myself).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    If such a list should be made. What better place would there be than Apug?

But...
    Doing this seriously would involve constant updating by people knowing what they are doing. I mean before someone would do some big order on some material he rather starts researching himself before employing some weird list. This controlled updating however needs some formalism, a working group or so. Something which is unfamiliar to this volatile group.
    This is my concern also.

Hence my added emphasis [bold type] in your quote.

Mit freundlich Gr▀ssen,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My original intent with this was to clear up the European mumbo-jumbo of films.

And, looking around, it does seem as if it's been suggested and never completed at least a few times.

If anyone does actually want to do this, and will be willing to help, I can try to co-ordinate and lead up a project.

If not, then oh well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    My original intent with this was to clear up the European mumbo-jumbo of films.

And, looking around, it does seem as if it's been suggested and never completed at least a few times.

If anyone does actually want to do this, and will be willing to help, I can try to co-ordinate and lead up a project.

If not, then oh well!
    I think that's a sensible idea, so where do you want to start?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First I'd like to get a few members here to commit to actually working on this; I don't have the knowledge, time, or information access to do the whole thing from start to finish.

Once we have that, we should gather any info that we can, from catalogs, websites or direct contact to the companies in question. Perhaps one person (or two) can work on talking to the companies, another person (or two) can look online. It would be great to have somebody from Europe on this, as they'd probably have better access to some of the info than I do here in the States. We'll then present what we have, and organize it further from the pool of information.

I'd say start with films, then worry about papers later.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin