Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,267   Online: 855

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Idea: Comprehensive list of B&W Films

I was thinking today after reading some topics on here, that there's some confusion about what B&W films are available. This is especially the case with the Efke/Adox, Rollei, Maco, Foma, Forta, Arista, etc. films that may be unique films, but may also just be another brand re-packaged.

It's made me realize that a comprehensive list of B&W films, along with the actual identity and source of the film, could be useful to some.

Am I the only one that thinks this, or could this be of use?

If so, we should work on assembling one here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this is a good idea, but I'd take it to another level and add colour negative and reversal films, and add data about film formats. It will be more work but I think this would be a phenomenally useful resource.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pop Photo magazine used to do this periodically until, you know, "film died". :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've certainly noticed that there are many fewer films than there used to be (particularly for 120), but I'm not exactly worried that our days are numbered yet.

In a sense, the shorter list will make this project easier.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Pop Photo magazine used to do this periodically until, you know, "film died". :rolleyes:
    Dear David,

Yeah, well, look at Shutterbug Buyers' Guides until two or three years ago. Frances Schultz used to do exactly this, though only for films available in the US. I can tell you that it's a LOT of hard work, calling the manufacturers and checking exactly what is and isn't available. Then there are special-order sizes and 'short-run' films -- a lot of Maco stuff appears and then disappears.

Good luck to anyone who's willing to do it as a labour of love, without being paid! We thought of doing it for www.rogerandfrances.com but realized we'd be making a rod for our own backs -- there will always be corrections, and then there are the 'corrections' sent in by those who don't actually know the answers...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    I was thinking today after reading some topics on here, that there's some confusion about what B&W films are available.
    Nikonians http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...lm_to_use.html have a fairly complete listing/description of available film, though they haven't been updated in the last couple of years.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps this endevour can be compiled in the same manner found in the Massive Development Chart from Digital Truth. The question is, would Digital Truth be interested in hosting this data?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contacting DigitalTruth is an interesting idea; they may be willing to host some stuff. Though, at this point, its significantly too early to think about hosting anything.

The link to the page[s] on Nikonians is good, although obviosly a tad dated. That could be used as a jumping-off point for the list though.

As far as Ilford and Fuji films go, this won't be too hard; the information is available on websites. I'm also sure that a call or message to Simon Galley would get us a definitive answer. Fuji would probably be the same.

Kodak, as we all know, is another story, as their website has proved to vary widely in reliability, and it seems hard to get a definitive answer over the telephone.

The European manufacturers are going to be even harder to extract information from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just get all the apug members to add a reply with their favorite in each category. Shouldn't take long at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I just looked on Ilford's site, and they have a wonderful PDF detailing everything we'd need about their products.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin