Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,938   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format

120 film availability (primarily C41 but others welcome too)

Recently I've found my interest in 120 photography to be rekindled. I have had a Minolta Autocord for a few years that I occasionally use. Last summer I was given a bunch of expired C41 film in 120 and I shot it out of curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised with the results (all but one roll worked out really well; the one roll was a little too old or a little too badly stored). Not only were the results technically good, I was pleased with the way I tended to shoot with the camera. The images were different, because the camera was different.

I mail ordered a bunch of film last fall and I noticed B&H had Superia 100 in 120, but only as a grey-market film. I got 5 rolls because it was cheap.

Wow. I've always tended to prefer amateur C41 films (even though I almost always use professional E6 films). While I feel I get better results with pro E6 films, the amateur C41 films seem to work well for me and the price is certainly a lot more attractive (about half or better).

I went to do another order of film this week and noticed that B&H doesn't have Superia 100 120 anymore. Adorama does, so I gave them a try. The film should be here this week. (I got 20 rolls this time.)

I guess I have a few questions to generate discussion... and feel free to amble about the general theme of 120 film availability and quality on this thread without worrying about hijacking it.

1. Is Superia 100 120 disappearing? What market is it intended for, since it seems not to be available as a normal product in North America? Does anyone besides me use it? I love this film. Should I be buying a hundred or two hundred rolls and putting them in my deep freeze?

2. Are there any other amateur colour 120 films available? I can't find any. I kind of wish I'd gotten big-time into 120 when there was a huge choice of 120 films.

3. Of the professional films, what are your experiences as far as their suitability for certain subjects? I shoot by natural light, almost exclusively outdoors, sometimes by sunlight, sometimes in shade or overcast. While I'm familiar with the Kodak Portra products and like them (particularly 160VC), I don't understand the difference between the Fuji 160 films at all.

Like I said, feel free to amble about 120/220 film in general.

Thanks!
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C-41 consumer grade, and I'm not picky

I take whatever comes along. I have put many different rolls through my medium format 'brick' - the C33F, and also a yashica A. Agfa RSX-II, Fugi HG400, Kodak 100, and 100T that came as a gagrge sale lot of expired/close dated film from a pro who went to the dark side, as well as others that have come from *bay purchases.

The latest buy was retail near home, at Henry's in Oakville, where I paid on a per roll basis - they no longer are selling by the brick at that location, and 7 rolls with taxes came in at $54CDN .

So I too am pushing towards more online purchases. I am also hoarding rools and backing paper after processing for the draeded day when I will have to buy 70mm aero spools and slice down and roll my own to keep this mad hobby/obsession's cost under control

Shooter
    35mm
    Adorama sells Fujifilm Fujicolor Superia Reala 100 Color Negative Film ISO 100, 120 Size. There is no MORE HORRID film on the planet. But do not buy it. It is essential that there to be plenty in stock when I re-enter the medium format market, so I can relieve the world of it. This film is too sharp, too grainless, and has too excellent color for anyone but me, a non-master, to use. Masters love blurry artsy stuff with lots of grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed that B&H and Adorama had Reala. It was a little more money than Superia, but not much more.

I promise not to buy any of this awful film.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In shade an overcast conditions I GREATLY prefer Kodak Ultra Colour, it makes the colours pop a lot more. I'm also just a fan of Ultra Color - but I find if I don't stop it down in bright sunlight it overexposes a bit.

I'm a kodak fan, I like the reds and yellows, and I find the fuji films kind of wash out in overcast or shadey conditions - in bright sunlight though it makes blues and greens wonderful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Adorama sells Fujifilm Fujicolor Superia Reala 100 Color Negative Film ISO 100, 120 Size. There is no MORE HORRID film on the planet.
    I would second this. I HATE Reala. It give me nothing but horribly vivid color with a really sickly overall pallette. It does NOT perform well at all in my 120 folder. It almost makes me sick everytime I go out to shoot with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin