Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 752

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We've had a number of threads (on apug) over the years about what products people miss. I used to use Panatomic-X and Medalist papers - gone for years. More recently - any Kodak papers. But, I can't say I "miss them", since there are other films and papers and I'm getting better results than ever because of more experience, and not due to the materials.

As for gear, I'm older and have more disposable income, and there is a ton of stuff out there. Ironically, it's the "perfect storm". :o Just last night I was looking at the latest KEH catalog to come in the mail and I have to stop myself from buying things just because they're cheap!

IF and WHEN film is gone, I'll do digital. Right now I'm doing both (Shhhh ...)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd miss film. And good paper, particularly warmtone paper. Actually, I miss having so many options. Kodak used to have so much stuff..

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Hello,

Considering a new activity, I am studying the market.

So my question is the following: In a perfect analog world, what type of product would you miss?

Old chemistry formulas?

Single lens mecanic reflex?

Single lens rangefinder camera?

A serious Black and white developping lab?

Anything else?

Thanks for your answers

Aurelien
    ..............Anything else?.....I still miss that redhead from Pittsburg back in '91.. Why that woman could.....well never mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I have one already that I miss, which is Polaroid TimeZero SX-70 film. However, there is a sort of substitute, even if the old manipulations are no longer possible in the same ways.

On gear, I honestly don't consider missing anything. I have a working camera from 1937, so anything I have newer should be no problem to keep working. I might miss KEH or EBAY, should either one stop being a source of good used gear.

Films are a tougher issue. I use some Polaroid pack films (peel apart). While there are a couple Fuji Instant choices, it would be tougher if some of the Polaroid peel apart films (like 669 or 690) disappeared. The Fuji FP100C would work okay for proofing, but this does not hold up to manipulation like some Polaroid films.

In large format, either Fuji or Kodak getting rid of Quickload or Readyload systems would really be inconvenient. While I could go to regular film holders, I am really hooked on the ease of use of packet systems.

I only use labs, so I would not miss particular papers. I would miss having a pro lab in the same city I am shooting. Sometimes that happens when I go on location, so I need to send my film back to the lab I usually prefer to use. Again, this is more a convenience issue. If there were better B/W labs available to me locally, I would shoot more B/W.

Mostly I shoot colour transparency. I really like the look and feel of Kodak E100VS, and don't like the Fuji alternatives. I also enjoy Fuji Astia 100F for some subjects, though maybe I could substitute Kodak E100G. My favourite night imaging film is Kodak E200, mainly for the great reciprocity performance, and extreme push capability. I don't know any substitute, perhaps the new Fuji Provia 400X, though strangely the Kodak reps suggested a colour negative film Portra 800 (didn't really like the results).

I miss AGFA APX100, even though I still have a few rolls. There is Rollei Retro 100, but I know that at some point in the far future this will be gone. Every other choice I might use today in B/W I could probably find a good substitute or alternative . . . basically no worries.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it came down to the very end, the last thing I'd want to go would be 120mm Tri-x and decent paper.

Yes, I like my 4x5 Sinar, but not as much as 120. 35mm, I only have it around for the wife now anyway. I haven't put an eye to the Nikon in over a year.

If film and/or paper goes away completely, I'm gone too.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    PrintFile neg sleeves. The best in the world for 35mm and 120.

www.printfile.com

And I've just seen that it's their 40th anniversary!

Cheers,

R.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome. And the next generation would miss having any legible pictures from childhood. That probably will happen to many kids growing up today.

Shooter
    35mm
    What would concern me is if in years to come there were few or no skilled repairers to keep cameras operational. With manual cameras if you're prepared to pay well, parts can sometimes be fabricated but that doesn't seem likely with electronically controlled cameras. What happens too when the LCD screen goes blank? I've just had the alkaline AA batteries overheat in an early autofocus Nikon SLR which seems to have turned it into a paperweight. Will this be a common fate for this type of camera?

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that worries me too-luckily my stuff is all pretty lo tech. Materials wise I'm not majorly worried as I know I can make my pictures say what I want them to say whatever film/paper I'm using (sad to see the end of APX/ Ektalure though-at least I still have some).
    Last edited by Black Dog; 07-01-2007 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grauniads
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If all analog materials disappear... I would go back to sculpture and painting.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin