Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,765   Online: 1255

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

What would you miss?

Hello,

Considering a new activity, I am studying the market.

So my question is the following: In a perfect analog world, what type of product would you miss?

Old chemistry formulas?

Single lens mecanic reflex?

Single lens rangefinder camera?

A serious Black and white developping lab?

Anything else?

Thanks for your answers

Aurelien
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    In a perfect analog world, what type of product would you miss?

in a perfect analog world ... I wouldnt miss anything, because in a perfect world it would all be available.

for that matter in a non perfect world (the one we live in) I still wouldnt miss anything, would just make due with whats available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not too sure what you mean, but I mostly agree with the above - It's about being adaptable. Having said that, I know that if Pan F+ and HP5+ disappeared I'd be pretty down about it...I've tried a lot of film, but those were the only two that I've really gotten attached to.
    Apart from that there's no lack of cameras to buy or chemistry recipes to read, and serious Black and White labs may be uncommon, but they exist.
    Last edited by Alex Bishop-Thorpe; 06-28-2007 at 04:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I know every body has himself's habits. But For example, new chemistry would please you? Would you buy it? For example chemistry optimized for one film in particular.

Or aren't you worry about complete disappearance of analog materials (cameras...)?
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    aurelian
    to expand upon my initial short and instinctive answer...
    Sure having chemistry optimized for a particular film/paper would be nice. But it would seem to me, given the dynamic nature of different films/papers, their availability, having a specific chemistry/developer for a given paper/film wouldnt fly with the overall market. Plus Id much prefer using products such as developers/chemistry that work with many different papers/film so that when or if a certain paper or film goes away my chemistry will work with whatever I replace it with. Make sense?

and no Im not afraid of analog materials disappearing. at its very root, most everything thing we use (even the manufactured materials) can be produced at home. If film all the sudden went away, Id go to a trophy store, get blackened aluminium and shoot wet plate, or get some glass and make glass negatives to print on hand coated paper.

In fact, as scary as it is to contemplate and as much as I hope it doesnt occur anytime soon... I almost look forward to the day when manufactured film/paper is available. I like the idea of having to create, with my own two hands, every single part of the process - hand coating the neg or wetplate, handcoating the print, etc etc.
    Plus it will makes the remaining practictioners a rarity and wonderful community (much like it is presently)

To me, it all seems about adapting to your limitations and using those limitations to your benefit.

hopefully Im not missing your point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure this is what you are looking for either, but I'd miss being able to obtain alternatives to what disappears.
    That is, if film y, or paper x disappears, I'd miss the option to learn to work with film d or paper c.
    Once all the manufactured products disappear, I'd miss the availability of component chemicals.
    However, as Scooterman says, I would not want to depend on a film or paper that's optimized to some particular chemistry. That leaves you with very few options if the supply of one is interrupted, for whatever reason.

As for equipment, I think what I would miss most would be optics. But I too am not very worried about equipment disappearing. There are too many cameras, etc. around for all of them to be consumed in a collector's market.
    Additionally, my sense from attending shows and auctions of all sorts of old stuff is that collectors themselves are disappearing. I see fewer and fewer young faces in these events.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not worried about chemistry, as long as I can obtain the components to make my own. I've moved toward mixing mainly from scratch anyway.

I'd be happy doing all handcoated work, if there were no more commercial papers.

I'd miss Tri-X, but I'd adapt to whatever films were available. Making my own film would be an inconvenience. I'd end up shooting only large format, and probably plates, if I had to make my own film.

I'm not too worried about having modern camera bodies. Most of what I use more or less reached a stage of technological maturity by the 1970s. As long as I can set the aperture, shutter speed, and focus, I don't really need much else.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Aurelien,

Color negative sheet film.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The thing I would miss is film. If it is available I will find a way to make chemistry to develop it, as well as the chemistry to print it on paper.

It is absolutely the one thing I can not do without.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am starting to worry about 35mm and MF, there is still a large used market, the these cameras are being gobbeled up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin