Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,531   Posts: 1,645,799   Online: 1201

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Deeney, Fuji: "There will be always a market for film"

Hallo,

there is an interesting interview with Jerry Deeney from Fuji Professional UK about the Fuji website "choose-film", Fujis commitment to film and the current market situation. Mr Deeney is optimistic that film has a future.

Here is the link:
    http://silfver.blogspot.com/

I am optimistic, too .

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Great news, thanks for posting.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for posting this. It's refreshing to hear this kind of commitment from Fuji.

Rich is also fairly well known on the photo boards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it's a refreshing change from the doom and gloom that predominates in this section. Thanks for the link.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji clearly want to be the market leader and last man standing in traditional colour photographic materials - on the assumption that Kodak will gradually stop making all traditional products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Fuji clearly want to be the market leader and last man standing in traditional colour photographic materials - on the assumption that Kodak will gradually stop making all traditional products.
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak has stated "We will never stop making film", but never is a long, long time. I don't think all film will disappear anytime soon, but then I never thought the digital transition would happen as fast as it has. And, apparently, neither did anyone else, including Eastman Kodak...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    How did you come to that conclusion?
    During the duscussion we had with the Ilford directors on the recent visit, it seems the general assumption is that Kodak wants to get out of the traditional market - I sincerely hope they do not as I love their products.

However it would seem Fuji has come to the same assumption and is channelling marketing effort into traditional products championing them as a legitimate alternative to digital capture and workflow, whereas Kodak seems to do the opposite, such as the PR surrounding the demolition of the factory building recently. It seems there is a culture, stemming right from the top, of sweep out the "old" and bring in the new. Didn't Perez recently say he hoped not to be even mentioning film in their annual reports in a couple of years time? Extreme and silly statement, yes (considering how much of their turnover is still attributed to traditional products) but this sort of thing is 'adverse marketing' for their traditional products.

Example:
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1343516.ece

We have to be realistic - Kodak will do what it thinks is right for their business (which I don't really blame them for) I just can't see how there is room for both them and Fuji - they know this, and seem happy to let Fuji become the market leader in Traditional photo products - and that is a good thing, the worst case scenario would be that they both failed!

Matt
    Last edited by Matt5791; 07-11-2007 at 05:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The market seemed not big enough for those big three.
    Number three has kicked out their consumer related business or even smashed it (see my thread on Agfa).
    And even if the market will not be big enough for the last big two standing, it does not necessarily mean that both! have to get out of the business in total. Another concept could be to use that experience and personal abilities those companies have built up over the years to still use it on smaller scale productions. As long as such an enterprise still is profitable. Well, Agfa could have done what Fotoimpex are trying to do themselves, but chose not to do. I guess it is not only about figures but also about the idea to be related to something old…
    I took the view that the representation of film R&D people in the structural management would have a positive influence. But the past weakened that argument.

The concept of one last company standing is not the most favourable from the perspective of a consumer.

Shooter
    35mm

Positive outlook from Maco concerning BW-Film

Dear film friends,

in addition to my original posting I want to give you a link to a statement from H. Schroeder, head of Maco Photo Products (Maco/Rollei).

He is optimistic for the future of BW materials for us "normal" photographers, because of the stable or increasing demand for special BW Films in industrial or other areas.

http://www.mahn.net/DL_MAHN/Kassel.pdf

For those who don't speak German I will try to give you a very short summary:

1. There is a stable demand for aviation films for military and civil use. The German military for example is using these films in their "Tornados" (currently in Afghanistan) in special format with Zeiss optics. These films are made by Agfa-Gevaert in Belgium. One of these films is the Maco/Rollei IR 820/400 which you can buy and use for normal and IR photography.

2. There is a stable demand for traffic surveillance films. The german policy alone is using almost the same amount of film as all german BW photographers are using per year. For example the Maco/Rollei R³ is a slightly modified traffic surveillance film (made by FilmoTec, Germany).

3. The demand for microfilms and orthochromatic films for long term data storage is increasing. For example the german administrative bodies say that only BW microfilms are suitable for their long term data storage needs, and so they buy these films in large quantities. We can profit in form of the high-resolution films like Spur Orthopan UR (= Adox CMS 20) and Agfa Copex Rapid (= Gigabitfilm), both films are made by Agfa-Gevaert, the Maco/Rollei Ortho 25 (made by FilmoTec) and the Kodak Imagelink.

Short: The sufficient film demand in these areas keep film production profitable, at least for some companies (for example FilmoTec make also good profit in BW Cine film and some speciality films).

Best regards,
    Jana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin