Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,332   Online: 1054

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    PE, got a question for ya: in lieu of Kodak's pulling of EIR (and not giving out precise word on exactly when that would happen, thank you soooooooo much Big Yellow!), I've been snapping up whatever rolls I can find locally, as Freestyle, Adorama, B&H, etc. are all out. I plan to send these rolls straight into the freezer. My question is, given EIR's reduced stability when compared with standard chrome film, will that inherent instability carry on into the freezer? I imagine the freezer would at least slow down the breaking down of the film, but I'm wondering to what degree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would follow the advice of others and store it in tight plastic bags in the freezer to protect from heat and moisture both.

This film is more sensitive to heat so even though you cool it down, it is still going to move faster into oblivion than any other film at the same temperature.

To most films, heat is akin to a continuation of the chemical sensitization step but slowed by incorporated retardants. To infra red films, heat is like light as well and so can cause fog directly. Heat to these films, even the little found in a freezer, is like a constant dim light seeping through the container causing fog.

There is little you can do unless you cool it to dry ice temperatures. There you will finally slow the deterioration down to about what other films experience in a freezer, but you increase the chance of damage from moisture unless it is very well sealed in a dry atmosphere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would follow the advice of others and store it in tight plastic bags in the freezer to protect from heat and moisture both.

This film is more sensitive to heat so even though you cool it down, it is still going to move faster into oblivion than any other film at the same temperature.

To most films, heat is akin to a continuation of the chemical sensitization step but slowed by incorporated retardants. To infra red films, heat is like light as well and so can cause fog directly. Heat to these films, even the little found in a freezer, is like a constant dim light seeping through the container causing fog.

There is little you can do unless you cool it to dry ice temperatures. There you will finally slow the deterioration down to about what other films experience in a freezer, but you increase the chance of damage from moisture unless it is very well sealed in a dry atmosphere.

PE
    Si I just got my batch of EIR in the mail, all VERY outdated. I am assuming that based on your post I should not hold out much hope. I'll give it a try and see what, if anything, shows up!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks...at least it was cheap! I got 32 rolls (in a batch of 90 rolls of film) for under $30 total. Worth a gamble to me.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

EIR Available

I own a lab in Sydney Australia called The Lighthouse.
    I purchased 200 rolls from Kodak when the discontinuance of Kodak EIR colour infra red was announced and have it in deep freeze if anyones in Australia and interested in this product.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin