Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,661   Online: 810

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not most photographers, but I prefer film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    The problem is...

Pros prefer film....

... but still end up having to shoot digital because the customer wants the pictures done by tomorrow.
    Tomorrow?

That's two days later than the average client wanted things when I was working in advertising.

As one once said to me, "No, I want it yesterday. If I wanted it today, I'd ask for it tomorrow."

Cheers,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 07-11-2007 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Roger, when I was in the graphic arts world the company motto was, "Rush, Tomorrow is too Late!".

It would be interesting to see the questions and how they could be interpreted, or if there was a slant that the company who ordered the survey wished for.

The local very small mini-lab, is finding that film developing has bottomed out and is on the rise. He is receiving more colour neg film (35mm) than previous, the trend has been happening since March. These figures are being matched against last years. Whether he has more work because other mini-labs have ceased, or there is a general uplift of 35mm film usage, he isn't 100% sure, but he is starting to grin a bit more.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

bean Counters

In Sydney as a Pro Lab owner I can say that my clients
    prefer film however bean counters and clients who
    want instant gratification push for digital imaging.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the link Bill, I have no problem with news like this

What goes around comes around-if you survive long enough
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    The problem is...

Pros prefer film....

... but still end up having to shoot digital because the customer wants the pictures done by tomorrow.
    Exactly, and I can't tell you how much this burns me up. This is why when I shoot film, I tell my clients that they aren't going to get their images the next day. They'll get them in a reasonable amount of time, just like it's always been. If they bitch about how they want them NOW, I recommend that they get a little useful item: a life. Surely they can find SOMETHING else to do while they're waiting for the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I confess I've never understood the speed argument for digital. I can shoot film, process and dry and scan it in a matter of a few hours. A digital capture will require some manipulation in photoshop. Okay, the digital guy will beat me by a couple of hours, but is that relevant? To a photojournalist, maybe, but otherwise I don't get it. Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Tomorrow?

That's two days later than the average client wanted things when I was working in advertising.

As one once said to me, "No, I want it yesterday. If I wanted it today, I'd ask for it tomorrow."

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Sanders,

Two HOURS?

That's.... like... yesterday!

(And you're right. No sane person gets it. How many sane people are advertising account executives?)

Actually, in all fairness:

Shoot

Bike to lab 10-45 minutes

E6 run RUSH 30-45 minutes (200% loading)

Bike back

Client now hopelessly drunk...

Cost of bikes, labs, rush fees, wine...

If I were still in advertising, I'd shoot digital.

EDIT: Frances said, 'No, today it's Perrier'

So: client with attention span of gnat, looking for excuse to make trouble. Model on retainer. Hire fees past 24 hours. Lab fees for late runs...

Cheers,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 07-11-2007 at 01:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Perrier

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    I confess I've never understood the speed argument for digital. I can shoot film, process and dry and scan it in a matter of a few hours. A digital capture will require some manipulation in photoshop. Okay, the digital guy will beat me by a couple of hours, but is that relevant? To a photojournalist, maybe, but otherwise I don't get it. Sanders
    You can't show the art director or client a more or less final product as you are shooting. If you screw the shot with film it could be hours before you notice that you need a reshoot. Most clients (almost all I know) want digital files and the vast majority of shots never exceed 8x10. Having the image go from exposure to disk in fewer steps is a huge time saver. Those quality issues that recommend film's usage are seldom requirements for commercial work and therefore it is very difficult to argue for film. I can prep a DSLR image in less than half the time it takes to prep a scanned image. Since customers want digital shooting digital has huge benefits. I can produce a quality contact sheet from film in about the time I can do likewise with digital.

As it is I shoot film commercially, because I can't afford a digital back for my sinar. I shoot film for my art and personal use because I prefer the results that are unique to film, and the push pull of the process. I use film for what it uniquely offers and would and will do the same at some point with digital.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin