Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,378   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not too surprised the most photographers prefer to shoot film. I spoke to a number of people, from homemakers to professionals, about their preference. I would say a majority prefer film so the question is...

Why are they using digital?

I'm sure there many good reasons but it seems I cannot fully explain this apparent preference dichotomy. On the other hand, this might be a 'false' dichotomy as they prefer film but for pratical reasons they use digital.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 07-11-2007 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes - preferring film is one thing. Using it is another.

I know lots of people who prefer manual transmissions in their car, and all of them except for me have automatics.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Yes - preferring film is one thing. Using it is another.

I know lots of people who prefer manual transmissions in their car, and all of them except for me have automatics.
    Yup. Never ASK people what they want. They'll lie. Or rather, their desires and their actions diverge. Depressingly often this is because they're too frightened/ conformist/ unimaginative/ stupid to realise that surprisingly often, they can indeed do what they really want to do.

Cheers,

Roger (with a '72 Land Rover, living on a pittance in rural France, just back from Arles, shooting with Leicas...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography" has so many shades of meaning. Do I really need to slave over an enlarger to be able to enjoy a couple hundred holiday snaps...or to wait for them to come back from the lab?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    "Photography" has so many shades of meaning. Do I really need to slave over an enlarger to be able to enjoy a couple hundred holiday snaps...or to wait for them to come back from the lab?
    Funny you should mention that. I just thought through buying and setting up an enlarger in a closet and processing the prints in the bathroom for the nth time this summer. Then I realized that I would enjoy photography more if I sent the film off and got back 4"x6" for 135s and 5"x5" for 120s, looked over the prints and sent the negatives to an optical photofinisher. Then all the time I would have spent in a darkroom or behind a computer, I can use to chase my girlfriend around her place.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    Pros prefer film....

... but still end up having to shoot digital because the customer wants the pictures done by tomorrow.
    A heart-warming story from the front lines:

For several years now, I have been shooting 4x5 EPN of art works for the cover of the "Official" Tourist magazine of Puerto Rico. Last year, the production director called me distraught, as she had forgotten to call me to shoot this year's cover until it was "almost" too late, and she needed me to shoot it and deliver the shot the next day! Unfortunately, that's no longer possible, as there is no longer a lab in PR who processes 4x5 film. I would have to send it to the States. She told me she could not wait, and I would have to shoot it on digital.
    Sighing long and loud, I agreed to do what I had to do; I shot the painting and took her the files the next day.
    The day after that, she called me and said I had to reshoot (what? what about yesterday's deadline?) because the digital file that I had shot "did not look like the painting." I told her that I would be glad to reshoot if it was necessary, but I had shot RAW files, and had bracketed, done a custom white balance, and all that crap, so surely it had to be just a matter of adjusting the image on screen. I took my laptop and headed for their office.
    When I got there, she told me that "the orange tones" in the painting had not come through. (Orange tones? What orange tones?) She showed me a desktop printer copy of a file that the artist had sent her, and in it the painting had garish orange tones in some areas. I told her I did not remember the painting looking like that, but I would see what I could do. But no matter what I did to the file, I could not make it look orange without screwing up all the other colors.
    So we got on the phone with the Graphic Artist, who lives in Florida. I told him (and the director) that as far as I was concerned, the "gold standard" for art reproduction was a properly lit and exposed 4x5 EPN transparency, just like I had been providing them for years. I would be glad to reshoot the painting if I could shoot it on film. And it would take a week.
    They agreed, and I reshot the painting. Sent the film to Duggal, got it back, delivered it to the client, and guess what?
    There were no orange tones. Nor were there any orange tones in the original painting. Or to tell the truth, maybe there were, as the artist had spent almost an hour "retouching" the painting before he would let me shoot it! Hmmmm...
    So guess what happened?

They had me shoot yet another painting for the cover! On film! The orange tones were what the director had liked about the original painting, but they did not really exist!

And the film did not lie!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love that little article!!!!! Everyone here just keep buying film and explaining the beauty of analog capture to their friends and families and at least one of those people will be lured back. People are fascinated when I have the chance to show them a good print or see me out with my camera. It's a wonderful thing and I am so glad to be a part of APUG where there are a ton of people like myself!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    After the issues I have been dealing with lately this is the best thing I have heard in weeks. I think I will do some cartwheels!

Wonderful news and thanks for the link...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now if only we could get my local photography magazine to stop sounding so surprised when there's any news to do with film...Oh well, my subscription ran out last month.

The marketing we all get surrounded by paints a vastly different picture to this, but that's usually how it works. But I'm happy to hear about this - we aren't an endangered species by any means, we're the majority. I always figured most film users don't frequent online forums, where as digital shooters would be well acquainted with the internet and make there presence known.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I'm not too surprised the most photographers prefer to shoot film. I spoke to a number of people, from homemakers to professionals, about their preference. I would say a majority prefer film so the question is...

Why are they using digital?

I'm sure there many good reasons but it seems I cannot fully explain this apparent preference dichotomy. On the other hand, this might be a 'false' dichotomy as they prefer film but for pratical reasons they use digital.
    I think your "false" dichotomy theory is correct. With the rise of social networking/photo sharing websites like Filckr, PhotoBucket and similar, the % of camera users producing hard copy prints is in decline - which is surprising Canon, Kodak, HP, Epson and others. Digital offers virtually no cost savings vs. film when hard copy prints are produced, but that is an output choice that fewer and fewer are making.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin