Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,580   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

New book on CD ROM

Based on the highly-rated materials from Fine Focus Workshops, this 181-page book covers an introduction to large format photography equipment, materials and traditional processes. Based on the idea that techniques should be simple, reliable, and repeatable, the book takes the mystery out of large format photography, the Zone System, and other tools photographers use. Exercises are designed to form good habits when doing mechanical tasks, and can enable any photographer to be familiar and comfortable with large format stuff.

But more than that, author Bruce Barlow (Hey! That's me!) wades into picture-making, discussing composition, Head, Hands and Heart in photography, and gives many exercises for improving one's seeing. In fact, the exercises are at the heart of Finely Focused, and those who do them will see their images improve. Most of these exercises are applicable to any photographic format, even digital image-making.

I think my only mention of digital is that I can start PhotoShop, but can't really use it.

Finely Focused is distributed on CD-ROM in .pdf format, requiring Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher. It's up to you to print any or all of it. So the book is digital, I guess.

Finely Focused also includes the procedures, .1 ND filter and Zone VIII example used in the Film Test Kit, below, so if you buy Finely Focused you do not need the Film Test Kit. The inclusion of the .1 ND and Zone VIII example are what keeps us from making Finely Focused available as a download.

Available at www.circleofthesunproductions.com.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Shouldn't this be in the Classifieds Section?
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, I wonder if a person who signs up and takes a workshop, will get a CD to take home?

Bruce, can we mail a check or money order or is it paypal only? Would rather mail it, as I don't do paypal! thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Drew - nope, no longer a freebiw at the workshop.

I didn't think a book was the same as a lens. Seems more like a product to me, rather than a classified.

rtuttle - sure, mail a check to PO Box 10264 Swanzey, NH 03446. Glad to accommodate.

BB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bruce, how is announcing that your book is now available any different than someone announcing that their lens or photograph is available?

It is really no different than some company using the forums as free advertising instead of buying legitimate ad space. At least paying advertisers post their announcements in the APUG Sponsors' Forum.
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BBarlow690 View Post
    Finely Focused also includes the procedures, .1 ND filter and Zone VIII example used in the Film Test Kit, below, so if you buy Finely Focused you do not need the Film Test Kit. The inclusion of the .1 ND and Zone VIII example are what keeps us from making Finely Focused available as a download.
    Do these tools work with Velvia as well?

Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell View Post
    Bruce, how is announcing that your book is now available any different than someone announcing that their lens or photograph is available?

It is really no different than some company using the forums as free advertising instead of buying legitimate ad space. At least paying advertisers post their announcements in the APUG Sponsors' Forum.
    I second Richard's assessment of the Barlow self promotion of his book. It is indeed, a product for sale and he is advertising its availability. Many in the past have been criticized for the same thing and had their "ads" removed. I suggest what is fair for one is fair for all. If Mr. Barlow would like to use this site for personal gain, let him pay Sean for that privilege.

Walker

Shooter
    Large Format
    Roteague: I doubt it. The tools are designed to calibrate black and white, rather than color, materials. I defer to friend Ted Harris, but I think he'd agree.

To the others: Thank you for sharing. If Sean decides to remove this, it's his choice. Welcome to the traditional photographic community. I appreciate your efforts to enlarge it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I view APUG as a source of information including announcements of new papers, chemicals, books, etc..; so I welcome Mr Barlow's announcement. Hopefully, people won't have to resort to getting others to review their books so that they can add buying info to the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin