Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,537   Online: 1028
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Jadedoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lexington KY
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    147
    Images
    3

    Oi vey, the demise of friendly faces.

    So while I was away at the Governor's School for the Arts, the last real photo place in Lexington has shut down. The bad part is that at the University the program was in, I was right across the street from it.

    It makes me depressed to think that I'll no longer have same day processing for my E6 stuff, and even more depressing to think that I'll never get to talk with the person who is developing it.

    It's times like these that make me wish that digital didn't suffocate these small shops. The folks who ran this store have been there for 25 years, and the past nine years business has been so slow they've run it by themselves. Last week they took their first vacation in nine years! To see people this dedicated just expunged...


    Oh lament! The end of the world is near!


    On a side note, anybody have suggestions whom to send my E6 stuff to now?
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

  2. #2
    lns
    lns is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    435
    You know, this kind of thing saddens me as well. As a result, I try to buy film, chemicals and color processing at my local store. I had to remind myself not to add film to an internet order the other day. Even though I love Freestyle, B&H and KEH, I figure it's worth paying a little more to keep the local guys in business. If possible.

    When I was growing up, every suburb had at least two independent photo shops. Now there are just a handful in the whole region, trying to hang on. And I bet when they're gone, they're gone. I can't see anyone opening a photo store now.

    -Laura

  3. #3
    MikeSeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Prospect (Louisville), KY, USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,062
    Jadedoto, I'm here in Prospect, just outside of Louisville. I think Murphy's camera does E6 here, though I think it gets sent out. Isn't there a Murphy's in Lexington? Would that be a possibility?

    Unfortunately, the marketplace has spoken. Most people would rather get something cheap; and those who'd rather pay for the service and knowledge one used to enjoy from local shops are not numerous enough to support them. I often wonder how long Murphy's on Bardstown Rd here can hang on. I hope it's a while.

    What I could really use is a local place that rents pro gear and has a decent selection and availability.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

  4. #4
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,886
    Images
    34
    On a more positive note, I was in the drugstore last night and they had both Elite Chrome 200 and Tri-x in stock. Fresh dated, too.

  5. #5
    Jadedoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lexington KY
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    147
    Images
    3
    Yea, they had a little celebration at the Film Lab, so I stayed behind my family who went to the lake to go there.

    Since their new studio will be small, they were giving away everything. Everything. Their enlargers and timers (I need a timer! gragh!) went to UK, but about 50 cameras and numerous other things were put out for grabs... light tables, lots of film, filters, easels, etc. On a positive note, I came out with a bunch of stuff, albeit I forgot to grab some chemical bottles.

    My treasure though is a densitometer! Whee!


    There is a Murphy's here in Lexington, but they don't seem to friendly whenever I'm in there. The first time I went in there to get some chemicals one guy spend 20 minutes talking about the wonders of digital photography! It was horrible!
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

  6. #6
    tjaded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,018
    Images
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadedoto View Post
    So while I was away at the Governor's School for the Arts, the last real photo place in Lexington has shut down. The bad part is that at the University the program was in, I was right across the street from it.

    It makes me depressed to think that I'll no longer have same day processing for my E6 stuff, and even more depressing to think that I'll never get to talk with the person who is developing it.

    It's times like these that make me wish that digital didn't suffocate these small shops. The folks who ran this store have been there for 25 years, and the past nine years business has been so slow they've run it by themselves. Last week they took their first vacation in nine years! To see people this dedicated just expunged...


    Oh lament! The end of the world is near!


    On a side note, anybody have suggestions whom to send my E6 stuff to now?
    If you need a place to send E-6 to, I work at a lab in San Francisco (Newlab) that can handle your film. I'm actually throwing this offer out to anyone and everyone on here...if you need a place to do E-6 or C-41 via the mail, send it to us and put my attention on it (Matt Osborne) and mention that you are from APUG. Anyone from here will get 10% off for mentioning APUG! Our website has an order form on it that will give you all the details, here are a couple of links:

    http://www.newlab.com/

    http://www.newlab.com/self-help/NewL...order-form.pdf

    Hope this is useful and doesn't come across like a used car salesman...I'm just trying to help all of us Analog folks in anyway I can.

    Adios,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

    www.glasskeyphoto.com

  7. #7
    Greg Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Crestview Hills, KY
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,950
    I was working for them this past winter. The folks who ran it, Mary and Vern, saw it coming. Digital was taking away their customers and could barely use me anymore for the black and white printing. Most of their business was from the University of Kentucky's School of Opthamology and other departments. But the university upgraded their equipment and stopped using film as far as I know. I hope they didn't give everything away, they have my print washer!
    www.gregorytdavis.com

    Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

    "No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

  8. #8
    Jadedoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lexington KY
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    147
    Images
    3
    They didn't give it all away to us, most of it went to UK. Check with them though, they're going to be there for another few weeks, and they are moving down to Manchester street for their studio.
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

  9. #9
    bsignorelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    19
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Even though I love Freestyle, B&H and KEH, I figure it's worth paying a little more to keep the local guys in business.
    A little more? lol... I somehow wound up in New Orleans over the 4th to visit my folks and tried to buy some B&W 120 film. The store I went to only had Fuji 400 and it was $6 a roll <gasp!>

    Oh well... I'll learn next time and get some outta the fridge when packing.

    Bryan

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saugerties, NY
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,159
    Images
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    You know, this kind of thing saddens me as well. As a result, I try to buy film, chemicals and color processing at my local store. I had to remind myself not to add film to an internet order the other day. Even though I love Freestyle, B&H and KEH, I figure it's worth paying a little more to keep the local guys in business. If possible.

    When I was growing up, every suburb had at least two independent photo shops. Now there are just a handful in the whole region, trying to hang on. And I bet when they're gone, they're gone. I can't see anyone opening a photo store now.

    -Laura
    as much as i would like to support my local shop it is difficult. they have been way over priced for many many years. and now it is as bad as ever. when i do go in there to buy analog stuff it is like "doom and gloom" all the time. no matter what i am doing the owner reminds me that "it is over" and go digital. they have moved the analog stuff to a closet in the back (makes me feel like i am renting XXX movies....all they need is a privacy curtain!). they have even added a framing shop with their extra room.

    it would not be so bad if the prices were a little reasonable and i did not have to listen to the doom and gloom. Alas B&H is only 2 hours south....so maybe i will make them my local shop:::))))!!!

    sorry you lost your lab. Mc Greavy pro lab in albany NY does excellent C41 and E6 processing.

    eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.


    lens photos here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin