Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,116   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Ultra Color

Hey everybody - I'm trying to see just what is up with Kodak Ultra Color and figure out if this is a problem just to me, or if everybody is experiencing it.

I love Kodak UC, but lately it seems to be harder and harder to get. Kodak's website doesn't say it's being discontinued, but I can't seem to find it at any of my regular suppliers. Online places too (since I mostly have to send away because I live in a smaller town). I primarily use Free Style Photo and Henry's, and neither of them seem to carry it, when they both used to.

Anybody else having trouble getting this film lately?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    Hey everybody - I'm trying to see just what is up with Kodak Ultra Color and figure out if this is a problem just to me, or if everybody is experiencing it.

I love Kodak UC, but lately it seems to be harder and harder to get. Kodak's website doesn't say it's being discontinued, but I can't seem to find it at any of my regular suppliers. Online places too (since I mostly have to send away because I live in a smaller town). I primarily use Free Style Photo and Henry's, and neither of them seem to carry it, when they both used to.

Anybody else having trouble getting this film lately?
    CalumetPhoto.com carries it according to their web site.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    Which format? On Photo.net there is a thread indicating that it's been discontinued in 120, but lives on in 35mm. Can't vouch for the veracity of that statement, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    120 specifically I was looking for - hopefully it really hasn't been discontinued, as it doesn't indicate that on the kodak website :/.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    120 specifically I was looking for - hopefully it really hasn't been discontinued, as it doesn't indicate that on the kodak website :/.
    When I heard that it was discontinued in 120 I ordered 50 rolls from the main store to be sent to the Venice store. They sent me the last of there stock 55 rolls. They made me buy all 55. Yes they forced me by giving me a discount! I had to keep it from the hoarders ...

and I brought out the stock of 135 at CVS at $2/roll for 63 rolls.

I did not want the hoarders to get those either!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    When I heard that it was discontinued in 120 I ordered 50 rolls from the main store to be sent to the Venice store. They sent me the last of there stock 55 rolls. They made me buy all 55. Yes they forced me by giving me a discount! I had to keep it from the hoarders ...

Steve
    Where did you hear it was being discontinued? I don't understand why I don't see anything on the kodak website, I can't be that far behind... can I?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ah, yup, you're behind. Apparently the 120 was quietly dropped around October of 2006, yeah, thanks for the notice Kodak. I think they put their energy towards the new Portras (my new replacement) and did'nt bother doing another run of the UC. I suspect the 35mm will run out sooner or later. I was also lucky to catch wind and put in an order for whatever my local distributor could get, so I wound up with 10 rolls of 100 and 20 rolls of 400 in 120, which I plan to save in the deep freeze for some wild fashion in the future. I also plan to gloat with glee about how awesome the film was way back when. I'm thinking around 2015 or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh damnit - I am that behind! Well, I guess no more Kodak UC for me. I like the VC and all, but it's just not the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If my memory serves me, Kodak announced that it was being discontinued because the updated versions of NC and VC made it obsolete. I have yet to use these new films. I really liked the 100 and the 400uc films, but didn't shoot enough to get a really good handle on them. They were much different than NC and I never liked VC so I'm suspicious that the new Portras are either not a replacement or have been changed. I've been assured that NC is still NC. It may be that they fixed VC and it is a suitable replacement for the UCs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, they Fixed VC. NC is still NC, lower contrast/satuation that responds well to contrasts increases in Post. VC is the winner, much more verstile and better all around. In 120 "grain" is a joke, the 160VC in 120 will tax your very best Zeiss lens. I too was a bit bummed that 120 UC is gone, but after shooting VC in 120 I'm not that sad anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin