Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,663   Online: 812

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll glady endorse Rob, I've placed a few orders with him and both times the items have arrived rather quickly, despite being all the way on the West coast, and shipping quite reasonable compared to bussing up to the North end of the island. My second order arrived a few days ago, but I still have to go pick it up. I've asked him about ordering some not-in-stock Ilford products, and he's willing to do that, so perhaps he will with some other stuff. I know I want to try the Efke infrared, and possibly some of their other films. Thanks for supporting traditional photography in Canada Rob! I have a feeling that folks like you may be the future of traditional photography in Canada. I would only order out-of-country if you have to. Although the prices and selection at B&H, Freestyle etc... can be great they are often outweighed by the import duties and taxes.

- Justin
    Last edited by Removed Account; 07-26-2007 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Directions are capitalized...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am lucky to be able to buy chemicals locally, but I mail order all of my paper and film from places like Freestyle. The savings have always been great, and with the CAD so high, its even better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lived in Van for years, and could get everything I needed when I needed it. Loved it.

Then I moved to nowheres-ville in the Kootenays (and planning my escape back to the big city soon), where the local "pro photography supply" doesn't actually seem interested in ordering anything for me without a hassle. Meaning, they act like they don't even want my business.

So, I started ordering from Henry's, loved it, they are my new favourite mail order source for photo supplies. Good prices, and shipping is only $10 for expedited, so I'll get my stuff within a week (if they need to transfer something from one of their stores for shipment to me, they send me an email just letting me know). Fabulous service and good prices, I couldn't ask for more!

And the best part is - no duty! Or whatever they call it. Freestyle is cheap, but even with the Canadian dollar being so high, you still get the duties attached to your order, so it's usually not any cheaper, and if it is, it's only a few bucks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    And the best part is - no duty! Or whatever they call it. Freestyle is cheap, but even with the Canadian dollar being so high, you still get the duties attached to your order, so it's usually not any cheaper, and if it is, it's only a few bucks.
    Most things shouldn't have any duty. You'll pay PST/GST. Not sure if Henry's charge you that in BC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that what they're calling it? It seems to be way more than just PST/GST when I order from freestyle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How are you shipping?

Post Office used to tack on $5 for handling if they remembered. I think that might have gone up but not much.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Post Office used to tack on $5 for handling if they remembered. I think that might have gone up but not much.
    Not Canada Post, but Customs will sometimes apply a handling fee...can't remember how much though.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No the post office tacks on a fee for clearing. The same way the couriers do. It's just lower then some thing like UPS ground which can be pretty scary.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm a postie. We don't add any fees for the recipient to pay.

Customs charges the handling fee and the taxes. The posties (or the contracted parcel delivery company working for Canada Post) collects the money from the recipient and sends it all to Customs.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-29-2007 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you live in Toronto, Efston Science Supercentre is able to get most of the photochemicals you need. I was pleasantly surprised at this revelation. However, they cannot obtain certain classes of materials if they are deemed hazardous.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 07-30-2007 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin