Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,669   Online: 1099

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Subscription only for me from now on, unless I am checking out a magazine I am interested in subscribing to. YMMV.
    I understand, however, the magazine I like costs $82 per year (Outdoor Photography), which wouldn't be so bad, except the digital content is steadily growing. The magazine still has a fair bit of film usage, but I find some of the "Photoshop techniques" presented to border on unethical; making me wonder how much longer I will continue to purchase the magazine.

The other reason I don't subscribe to magazines is the length of time it takes to get here. I used to subscribe to Outdoor Photographer (US), but found out that I could get the magazine in the bookstores sometimes as much as two weeks before I would get it in the mail. Magazines come here with a very low mail priority.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I understand, however, the magazine I like costs $82 per year (Outdoor Photography), which wouldn't be so bad, except the digital content is steadily growing. The magazine still has a fair bit of film usage, but I find some of the "Photoshop techniques" presented to border on unethical; making me wonder how much longer I will continue to purchase the magazine.

The other reason I don't subscribe to magazines is the length of time it takes to get here. I used to subscribe to Outdoor Photographer (US), but found out that I could get the magazine in the bookstores sometimes as much as two weeks before I would get it in the mail. Magazines come here with a very low mail priority.
    Yes, thats why I put "your mileage may vary" Decisions like this are strictly personal, and the practicality of such decisions is dictated by many things. That's why I dislike the all encompasing edicts concerning things like this that some put forth, as if they knew everything, and everybody's situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

non -uniformity on Chapters with PT

My local Chapters (Oakville/Mississauga; Dundas St. at Highwau 403) carries Photo Techniques consistently.

Then when I travel I find it often is a hard find. Which is a drag, because killing time in a city on business waiting for the flight home is when my worst buy a magazine bug hits.

Fortunately last week I was in the Glebe section of Ottawa heading south towards the airport, with 4 hours to kill. The magazine store on Bank at Fifth, which I haven't set foot in in 22 or more years since I lived nearby as a uni student, hasn't changed a bit. It is still full of every sort of magazines. Two different month pair editions of PT for sale (current and previous month's) , and the separate special lighting issue as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know if Borders does the same? I refuse to shop in Barnes & Noble unless I absolutely have to (I'm fed up with the constant hard sell for their membership you get there).
    I'm not sure if Border's magazine department workers would follow a similar chain of command, but I would think it would be somewhat close (both "boxes" are fairly generic retail models), especially since the distribution would be the same. As for the hard sell, see if you can get a cashier to admit that it is a cult - I usually get a giggle out of a regular customer when I ask if they will be joining our cult today.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know for a fact that Book Store Chains rotate their periodicals, particularly with magazines that have low volume. They may carry a title for a while, and if the sales numbers are not steady or growing they drop it for another title. I have found some very esoteric magazines at the local Books-a-Gillion, but I have found that there is no guarantee they will always be there. This applies to all subject matter, not just photography. A title may have good local sales, but chainwide may have poor sales, and this is what determines what titles are carried.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semeuse View Post
    I'm not sure if Border's magazine department workers would follow a similar chain of command, but I would think it would be somewhat close (both "boxes" are fairly generic retail models), especially since the distribution would be the same. As for the hard sell, see if you can get a cashier to admit that it is a cult - I usually get a giggle out of a regular customer when I ask if they will be joining our cult today.
    Thanks, I'll check. Borders carries View Camera, which B&N doesn't (locally), but B&N carries Outdoor Photography and Borders doesn't. So, I go back and for to the two.

B&N just makes me mad, so I rarely buy anything there. The last time the cashier asked if I wanted to hear about the membership, I pointed out there were two very large banners behind him, one small one around his neck, and various posters throughout the store. If I wasn't aware of their membership by then, I would have to be a real idiot.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Speaking of PT mag, PE referred me to a back issue containing an article on VC paper techniques with extensive coverage of sensitometry curves for same.

Can anyone help me identify which issue this was and where to acquire it?

Thank you
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murray;

I found it! March/April 2005.

There is also an excellent article in Ctein's book "Post Exposure".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all of this talk about Photo Techniques. I had never noticed it before, but after reading this thread I found a copy in a newstand under King and Yonge Sts. It's a good read -- a nice antidote to the all-advert, all-beginner photo mags in the grocery store. Thanks!
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Found web site, ordered back issue. Done.

Oh, I haven't read it yet. Not done.
    Murray

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin