Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,049   Online: 1291

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photo Techniques

Our local market carried Photo Techniques magazine on the shelf with a host of other photo magazines. In the last several months I have been unable to find it there.

I tried our Barnes & Noble, who also carry it, but they are further away and no Photo Techniques there either.

So, I have been unable to find a copy hereabouts for about 6 months.

It has apparently been dropped from their inventory, or they have lowered their order and there are not enough to go around. BTW, I shop at the market for new books and magazines weekly so I don't think it would be easy for me to miss it.

Anyone else having the same problem?

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, as i subscribe to it. Might want to do the same, PE.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy at the local book store and market in order to encourage them to keep stocking it so others interested in analog will see it on the shelf and pick it up. I want the stores to know there is a market for it.

I guess my strategy isn't working being just one person.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe it worked so well it's sold out -)

Have you asked the shop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bookstores that carry magazines often have little control over what magazines they get. The magazines come from a different distrubutor network than the books, and generally they make the decisions on what titles they handle and what they provide to the bookstores. It may be that the shop's distrubutor has decided to stop carrying Photo Techniques. I've run into a similar difficulty getting View Camera from the local shops, including B&N and Borders.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Look to art stores. Here in Canada, the local Chapters Bookstore now has View Camera and Black and White Magazine in the Art Section. The Photography section is 100% digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The art store carries no books like this. They carry books on painting and pottery etc...

The local stores give a blank stare as if they never heard of the magazine and yet I've been buying it there since it was Darkroom Techniques back in the 80s and 90s. I suspect that if I pressed them they would try to sell me a good digital magazine in an effort to convert me, or they might try to sell me the latest Harry Potter book in the hopes that it would teach me how to conjure up some analog books.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    But is Harry Digital or Analog

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The local major bookstores here seem to be cutting back on photo magazines. They still have Photo Techniques, but I haven't seen View Camera in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Bookstores that carry magazines often have little control over what magazines they get. The magazines come from a different distrubutor network than the books, and generally they make the decisions on what titles they handle and what they provide to the bookstores. It may be that the shop's distrubutor has decided to stop carrying Photo Techniques. I've run into a similar difficulty getting View Camera from the local shops, including B&N and Borders.
    While it's true that bookstores often have no control over their magazine inventory, if you go to a smaller independent bookseller and ask, they may be able to get it for you. Tell them, if they don't already know, that Ingram Periodicals does stock Photo Techniques, and if they order from Ingram Periodicals, they should be able to get it for you. If you are religious about buying it, that single issue sold each month should keep the title from being what's called "aged off." Sometimes if it is aged off, you can stop by and ask the magazine ordering person to get it back in because you love it.

This is something that Borders or B&N probably can't do for you. We little guys still can, and still do -- and we count the ability to provide this sort of personalized service to keep us in business when the big guys threaten to crush us on a daily basis.

I know. I run an independent bookstore.
    Last edited by Jeanne; 07-25-2007 at 08:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin