Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,833   Posts: 1,582,381   Online: 868

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magicubes

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aemrican Science and Surplus is selling Magicubes 3/$1. www.sciplus.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    I seem to dimly recollect that somebody long ago sold various converters so you could substitute AG3 flashbulbs for flashcubes or maybe for magicubes. There used to be so many types and didn't Polaroid have some kind of vertical array of bulbs for their cheapie cameras?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Polaroid had the Flashbar for the SX-70. I'm down to my last three. But on the other hand, I modified my SX-70 cameras to use 600 film.

And there was an adapter that let you plug either AG-1's or AG-3's into a holder that fit onto a Flashcube camera. Flashcubes and AG-1B's, I've got a good stock of.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lens_hacker View Post
    Just to back up what has been said:

1) Magicubes were mechanically initiated. They came out with the Pocket Instamatics and the 126 film X-Series Instamatics. You can see a little firing pin looking at the underside that was hit my a little trigger on the camera. Magicubes are about the same as an AG-1B flashbulb.

2) Flashcubes are electrically triggered. You can see the electrical contacts on the underside of the cube. These are essentially AG-1B flashbulbs.

3) High-Power Flashcubes are also electrically fired, and are based on the more powerful AG-3B flashbulb. Polaroid "Focus-Flash" 400 series cameras require them.
    JUst to add:

1) The high power cubes generaly came with a red base.

2)because the spring was released to fire a Magicube, the camera could in theory tell if you had a fresh cube. (I vaguely recall that feture in a top end camera - or I am dreaming)

3 Next generation were the Flashbar from Poloroid, and the Flip-Flash from Kodak. the flip flash was interesting as the four (later five) bulbs were all fired from teh same contacts, and once the bulb fired it re-worked the circuit for the next bulb! they also had a green dot to show that their was a bulb available.

Flipflash used a Piezo element to generate the power

4) LAST of the Intstamatic X-15 Cameras was the X-15F which used flip-flash.

5) when I worked in a camera store, GE let us use a certain percentage of cubes to demonstrate. Using a pen to fire off a cube off the camera was always a great demo to back the line "it does not need batteries" Even better than the "let me take your picture with this polaroid"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Aemrican Science and Surplus is selling Magicubes 3/$1. www.sciplus.com
    This is the lowest price for magicubes anywhere. Cress Photo (www.flashbulbs.com) lists them at US$ 12 for three.
    Too bad they only ship within the US, or I would have stocked up to keep my Polaroid Big Shot in business for the next ten years.

Come to think of it: Is there perhaps an APUG member in the US who is willing to buy some Magicubes on my behalf? I will pay for the purchase plus shipping through PayPal and I will also reimburse the PayPal fees of course. Check out my feedback at eBay (member: vanspaendonck) if you want to know if you can trust me on this. Send me a PM if you are willing to help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anthony Sansone (known to some of us as the expert on Mamiya Press and Polaroid 600 SE cameras) just bought 40 boxes of Magicubes for me, which he is going to send on.
    That's 120 cubes or 480 flashes, so that should last me a while...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin