Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,292   Online: 1160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Portra 160VC in 120 gone?

I got a note at work the other day from the guy who does our ordering saying Kodak had discontinued Portra 160VC in 120 and Elite Chrome 200 135-36. Can anybody verify this? I haven't seen it in writing anywhere else.
    --
    Tom Gehring
    Richmond, Virginia
    My Flickr gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I coulda sworn I saw it in 120 back in Japan a week or two ago. If it's still in Japan it's got to be available here in the US still, right?

My $0.02
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have some on the shelf; I was just told we wouldn't be getting more once our stock was gone.

We just got the note earlier this week, I think either Tuesday or Thursday.
    --
    Tom Gehring
    Richmond, Virginia
    My Flickr gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No mention on the web site about either of these films being discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May I suggest you verify with your Kodak contact, in fact? If you're two steps away from a Kodak employee, why not go to the source?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak just upgraded the film and are saying it now replaces UC. I think you are being fed bs. It may be a sad attempt to deflect criticism form customers wondering why you no longer carry the film by pushing the lack of stock up stream to kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JD: I think it could be one of several things: the company doesn't want to carry film anymore, so they're telling us this or the supplier we get Kodak from doesn't carry the film, even though Kodak is still making it.

Given that we never heard a peep when Kodachrome 200 was dropped, I'm a bit skeptical. I just wanted to see if this had been said anywhere else before I asked about it at work.

Michel: I plan on doing that on Tuesday, when I go back in. However, we're one store of a chain, and we don't have any direct contact with the supplier, so I have no way of independenty verifying what our main office is telling me. Either way, the company for which I work will no longer be carrying 160 VC 120, whether it's been discontinued or not. I just want to know the truth.
    Last edited by lifein2x3; 08-05-2007 at 11:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot to add...
    --
    Tom Gehring
    Richmond, Virginia
    My Flickr gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, what JD said. Kodak both upgraded the portra line and slashed the UC in 120, so it's possible that there's been some confusion.

Kodak has a customer support line if you dig in their website. Sadly, there are no Kodak rep who post on APUG, the way there is an Ilford rep (Simon Galley) who does.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have given up trying to buy 120 film locally. The stores do not want to carry it, due to volume not being high enough. If thay have what I want, it's outdated, (not enough discount for the date to interest me) or they have only a few rolls. One local store did have a pretty good supply of Portra 160, but the price was almost double Calumet's. Too high for local support.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mhv: You could be right, but we got the notice about UC being discontinued back in October (I actually bought our last couple of propacks). I'm starting to think it's either a mistake or they're just going to start phasing out films. Thing is, we sell a lot fo 160VC compared to some of the Fuji films. So I'm pretty confused.

Lopaka: I hear you. We've stopped carrying 4x5 at my store (some of our other stores do, one is about two miles away) and our manager is trying to phase out 220, but we still keep getting it in Portra and Velvia varieties.
    --
    Tom Gehring
    Richmond, Virginia
    My Flickr gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin