Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,030   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, if you are in London next weekend, you can just make the retrospective of British photography on at Tate Britain (http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/howweare/) which closes on Sunday 2nd Sept (7.50 GBP per person for the photo show, but The Tate itself is free).

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    There used to be several proper camera shops in Bloomsbury near the British Museum; anyone know if they are still there? Aperture advertises as being around there at 44 Museum Street, but I’ve never used them. www.apertureuk.com
    As we popped into the British Museum this evening I had a looksy, Aperture is the only place I could find still in that area of Bloomsbury but it's a lovely find, whole range of equipment all the way up from a Brownie Model F to Nikon F5s and Leicas.

David
    Last edited by dsullivan; 09-01-2007 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Oops, some digis there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dsullivan View Post
    As we popped into the British Museum this evening I had a looksy, Aperture is the only place I could find still in that area of Bloomsbury but it's a lovely find, whole range of equipment all the way up from a Brownie Model F to Nikon F5s and Leicas.

David
    Snap! I was in the BM earlier today too after visiting the Tate. You may have seen a sweating, overweight individual snapping away with an F3 and a prehistoric Ensign Ful-Vue...

I could find only Aperture there too. Sadly, the other shops that were once there have departed and there's far fewer old bookshops left too.

(Tip: the small gift shop in Museum Street has sensibly priced bottles of fruit juice - always worth knowing if you are in London's Tourist Land where prices can get very silly )...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not much left in Central London. The Classic Camera (Leica) are still by the British Museum too (Pied Bull Yard) where there used to be a couple of other places too. Jacobs on New Oxford Street has lots of second hand MF, but Aperture has the most variety there. One of the other places that was near there has recently moved to Sicilian Avenue but havent been yet.

Nicholas near Mornington Crescent has a lot of stuff, but most of it isnt in the shop.

For Velvia 50, Calumet or Silverprint in London.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Just though of another; Scotland this time, near Inverness.

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

Enjoy your visit.
    Certainly a fine place to go for a cup of tea/coffee and light snacks, and any amount of good old/new film cameras. Strangely though, don't expect to be able to buy film to go in any of these cameras, although they do still have some Agfa colour film which may or may not be outdated. Ah well, I suppose you just can't have it all.

Should be able to get Velvia in Calumet and they still have a store in Glasgow, although the Aberdeen one has closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin