Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,945   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Film-friendly photography stores - London, Scotland, Zurich-St. Gallen?

I'm heading off to Europe on Friday for a month. I was going to order some Velvia 50 from Adorama or B&H to save some money but neither one has it in stock yet. I understand it's readily available in the UK though.

I also want to poke around at some good photography stores anyway, because it's fun, and the stores that are all hyper-obsessed about digital are pretty boring these days.

What stores are fun and interesting for APUGers? And where can I get my Velvia?

(I said "Scotland" in general because we'll be all over Scotland - we are spending time in Glasgow, Oban, the Isle of Skye, Braemar (near Aberdeen) and Edinburgh.)

Thanks in advance.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Film friendly in London? Silverprint. I believe they sponsor APUG ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought XP-2 Super at Silverprint when I visited London. They weren't overly friendly, but they did have the film. Calumet has a few locations as well, but they didn't stock XP-2 Super.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I bought XP-2 Super at Silverprint when I visited London. They weren't overly friendly, but they did have the film. Calumet has a few locations as well, but they didn't stock XP-2 Super.
    They're English, and Londoners to boot; what did you expect, a cup of tea and a hug?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There used to be several proper camera shops in Bloomsbury near the British Museum; anyone know if they are still there? Aperture advertises as being around there at 44 Museum Street, but I’ve never used them. www.apertureuk.com As it happens they do offer cups of tea, but I’m not sure about hugs. For consumables I can’t think of anywhere better than Silverprint, at least not in central London.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Only slight wrinkle about Silverprint is that they don't open on weekends but they are brilliant for any consumables. There are a number of Calumet branches around including a little diddy one just off of Oxford Street (watch out for the pricing though, they can be a *lot* more expensive than some on some things)

Closer to the West end there are several shops on Tottenham Court Road near Warren Street Station including Kingsley, West End Cameras, Spectrum and a small Jessops (Boo! Hiss!). For an interesting place near here that we pretty much stumbled across is Teamwork Photographic who have a lovely selection of LF kit and supplies (again I think they might be M-F only)

David.
    Last edited by dsullivan; 08-27-2007 at 03:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Warren Street, Not Goodge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just though of another; Scotland this time, near Inverness.

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

Enjoy your visit.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Forgot, Ffordes do tea and coffee, but go careful with the hugs.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you know, I might just hop across for a cup of tea one day in the not too distant future - weather premitting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photo Stores In Edinburgh

If you are in Edinburgh I would recommend Black & Lizars you will find them at 1st Floor, 8 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, EH2 4RP http://www.blackandlizars.com/photo/index.php
    In there fridge you will find all the film you need, they are friendly and helpful.
    There is also a calumet in Edinburgh.
    There is a good photographic dealer called Camera base in Morningside. They have a good selection of film aswell as a very good range of pre-owned equipment. http://www.camerabase.demon.co.uk/
    They repair equipment I am happy with all the repairs they have carried out and there turnround is fast.
    Enjoy your stay in Scotland.

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin