Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,059   Posts: 1,561,583   Online: 653

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filament bulbs to disappear from the UK

Oh B*ggar , looks like I'll ned to get a nice dichoric colour enlarger dear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7016020.stm
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As one who recently laid in a life times supply of enlarger lamps it's news I can ignore. Now I only have the transformer to worry about.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this just another attempt by the British Government to keep us in the dark!

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    Is this just another attempt by the British Government to keep us in the dark!

Barry

Mushroom jokes are henceforth banned from this thread
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm
    He's left a loophole which is the 60 watt bulbs. The other loophole is building extra runways at all airports. So does this cover the quartz halogen type that my Durst uses? If so then bye bye most enlargers. I noticed that recently such bulbs have sprung up on supermarket shelves for household use. The 50 watt ones( I've never seen bigger for household use) even look as if they'd fit my enlarger. I have anyway dropped to 75W as my colour exposures were very short with 100W and my B&W is fine with 75W as well. In fact to get up to close on 20 secs exposure which a lot seem to use as standard, a 50W might do, especially for comfortable dodging and burning.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's maybe not as black as it appears.
    The full DEFRA press relaese is here:
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2007/070927a.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DEFRA
    At the moment, we expect candles and golfballs, tungsten halogen lamps and lamps supplied with non-lighting electrical appliances to remain on sale, because suitable energy-efficient alternatives do not currently exist.
    It would seem likely that enlargers would fall under the category "non-lighting electrical appliances"
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not again!

Well we must be bored here on APUG that we're starting up another CF v. Incandescent thread!

FWIW, after the UK ban takes full effect - I will be offering incandescents on eBay.

I've sworn off the things myself - but over on this side of The Pond we would never allow a government to decree this. Advance orders are being accepted now! :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    FWIW, after the UK ban takes full effect - I will be offering incandescents on eBay.

Tut Tut.... Offering illegal imports.
    Naughty George, naughty

I can see the headlines now;
    US man extradited to UK, charged with posession and intet to supply...

Lightbulbs
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There will always be exemptions to these rules, one of which will be bulbs for theatre and concert lighting. Bulbs suitable for enlargers will probably fall under the same exemption.

Anyway, buy half a dozen spares and you are probably covered for the rest of your life. Which reminds me, I have not got any spares!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    There will always be exemptions to these rules, one of which will be bulbs for theatre and concert lighting. Bulbs suitable for enlargers will probably fall under the same exemption.

Anyway, buy half a dozen spares and you are probably covered for the rest of your life. Which reminds me, I have not got any spares!
    I think my concern is that enlarger bulbs will suffer from 'the Kodak problem.'

Which is to say, it's all very well saying that enlarger bulbs will still be legal, but I doubt it's enlarger bulbs on their own which keep the factories running. Without the mass sales of ordinary bulbs to keep the production lines going, will anyone bother making them for the few remaining niches?

I'm going to stock up...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin