Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,067   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Kodak TMY revised

I've just had a press release (dated October 9th) from the Great Yellow Father (well, from Ketchum anyway) saying that T-Max 400 has been revised for finer grain and higher sharpness, making it (they say) the finest-grained, sharpest ISO 400 film on the market. I'm looking forward to trying it...
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    .. and that would be great to read in B&W mag [UK]

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Large Format

New TMY Futher Information

Indeed, Kodak did announce a new and improved T-MAX 400 film this morning. I personally find this exciting news, as it demonstrates that film is still “alive” at Kodak, and in fact they have been working on improving their existing silver halide emulsions.

I've had the opportunity to use this film extensively, in 120 size, for the past month. Though my primary film, since its introduction, has been Kodak Professional T-MAX 100, I have also used T-MAX 400 when needed for extremely low light situations, or when wind or other source of movement is a concern. In my experience the updated version of the T-MAX 400 film is noticeably finer grain than its predecessor. Kodak states that the new Professional T-MAX 400 is "now the world's sharpest, finest grain 400 speed black and white film."

Here is a link to the web page where you can find the Kodak press release announcing the new T-MAX 400 film:
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=6620

I have been processing the new T-MAX 400 120 film in D-76 1+1 for 7 minutes at 68©F with manual agitation for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. This processing procedure has produced negatives of excellent quality for enlarging with a diffusion light source. The grain structure has a smoothness that to my eye I have never experienced in a film of this speed.

Kodak will be distributing free samples of the film (35mm size only) to those attending PhotoPlus Expo in New York City, October 18-20, at the Jacob Javits Center. In addition, Kodak is presenting a panel discussion, "Black and White Photography in the 21st Century," on Friday, October 19th from 3:00 - 4:45 PM. This event is free to all those attending the PhotoPlus Expo show, and will be held in the Presentation Theater in he Jacob Javits Center. I'm pleased to be a part of this panel discussion, along with photographers Michael Crouser, Liz Gilbert, and Kristen Ashburn. All of us will be discussing our current work and our decisions in terms of why we work in black and white photography. There will be a drawing at the conclusion of the event, where attendees will have the opportunity to win silver gelatin prints from each of the four panel members. If you're attending PhotoPlus, it would be great to see you at the panel discussion.

In addition, I will be in the Kodak booth to visit with people and sign books at the following times:

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18
    11:00 am - 2:00 pm

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19
    10:30 am - 12:00 pm

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20
    10:00 am - 1:00 pm

I hope to have the opportunity to make some new APUG friends from among APUG members, as well as visit with old friends during the PhotoPlus Expo.

I'm on the road traveling right now, so I won't have much access to the APUG forum or email until after I return from PhotoPlus.
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com
    info[at]johnsexton.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsexton View Post
    Indeed, Kodak did announce a new and improved T-MAX 400 film this morning. I personally find this exciting news, as it demonstrates that film is still “alive” at Kodak, and in fact they have been working on improving their existing silver halide emulsions.

I've had the opportunity to use this film extensively, in 120 size, for the past month. Though my primary film, since its introduction, has been Kodak Professional T-MAX 100, I have also used T-MAX 400 when needed for extremely low light situations, or when wind or other source of movement is a concern. In my experience the updated version of the T-MAX 400 film is noticeably finer grain than its predecessor. Kodak states that the new Professional T-MAX 400 is "now the world's sharpest, finest grain 400 speed black and white film."

Here is a link to the web page where you can find the Kodak press release announcing the new T-MAX 400 film:
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=6620

I have been processing the new T-MAX 400 120 film in D-76 1+1 for 7 minutes at 68©F with manual agitation for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. This processing procedure has produced negatives of excellent quality for enlarging with a diffusion light source. The grain structure has a smoothness that to my eye I have never experienced in a film of this speed.

Kodak will be distributing free samples of the film (35mm size only) to those attending PhotoPlus Expo in New York City, October 18-20, at the Jacob Javits Center. In addition, Kodak is presenting a panel discussion, "Black and White Photography in the 21st Century," on Friday, October 19th from 3:00 - 4:45 PM. This event is free to all those attending the PhotoPlus Expo show, and will be held in the Presentation Theater in he Jacob Javits Center. I'm pleased to be a part of this panel discussion, along with photographers Michael Crouser, Liz Gilbert, and Kristen Ashburn. All of us will be discussing our current work and our decisions in terms of why we work in black and white photography. There will be a drawing at the conclusion of the event, where attendees will have the opportunity to win silver gelatin prints from each of the four panel members. If you're attending PhotoPlus, it would be great to see you at the panel discussion.

In addition, I will be in the Kodak booth to visit with people and sign books at the following times:

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18
    11:00 am - 2:00 pm

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19
    10:30 am - 12:00 pm

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20
    10:00 am - 1:00 pm

I hope to have the opportunity to make some new APUG friends from among APUG members, as well as visit with old friends during the PhotoPlus Expo.

I'm on the road traveling right now, so I won't have much access to the APUG forum or email until after I return from PhotoPlus.
    Kodak states: We have also incorporated a UV barrier into the new 35 mm and 120-format films to prevent inadvertent backside static exposure. These films may look a bit more hazy when wet, similar to T-MAX 100 Film, which uses the same technology. The haze will disappear as the film dries. The new T-MAX 400 films fix the same, so don't confuse this haze with poor fixing.

Fortunately for those of us who are sheet film users: Note that the new sheet film does not employ any UV barrier, since large-format sizes are often contact printed onto UV-sensitive materials.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsexton View Post

Will Kodak have a seperate technical data sheet for this film, or will they update the existing one to incorporate the new ISO 400 film?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Will we be seeing something nice in a size 7x17 yellow?

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format

New T-MAX 400 Additional Info

Here is a link to some additional information from Kodak about the new T-MAX 400 film:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/....17.14.6&lc=en
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com
    info[at]johnsexton.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This seems to indicate a fight back by the film division and is great news. It is interesting that the press release makes quite a mention of their professional customer survey.

John Sexton's comments about the film are extremely encouraging, it was his very accurate and informative articles in Darkroom Techniques over 20 years ago that encouraged me to switch to using Tmax 100, and also the 400.

So its a refreshing bright side to our use of film.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting news, I almost thought the big yellow giant had fallen asleep......

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin