Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,764   Online: 1257

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format

KEH revisited.

I've now had 4 emails from Arthur at KEH.We've made a deal (tentative) for a Nikon N90s.He's sending me photos of the camera on Monday.
    Guess I kind of jumped the gun on my assessment of their on-line availability.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I've bought excellent used equipment at very good prices from Glazer's Camera in Seattle. You may have noticed that they have become more visible lately with their website and participation in the ULF film offerings.

www.glazerscamera.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing about importing from KEH into Canada. I always seem to get hit with pretty hefty customs fees. (15-25%) Funny, that didn't happen when I ordered a flash from B&H. Maybe Canada Customs has my number now.

KEH is pretty good, though. I just got a "bargain" close-up barrel that was perfect except for one scratch on the paint.

If you happen to be in Toronto, Henry's is a fun place (well, a couple of places around the corner from each other) to look around in. Also right in that neighborhood is Downtown Camera (www.downtowncamera.com) on Queen (lots of new and used stuff) and Commercial Camera Repair (www.commercialcamerarepair.com) in another little storefront right beside Henry's on Church, with some nice vintage cameras.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 10-12-2007 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added URLs
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    If you happen to be in Toronto, Henry's is a fun place

Cheers,
    Sadly, the best place IMHO went out of business years ago - Alt's. Decent prices, and may of the staff actually knew the equipment. I remember when it had tons of MF and LF gear, darkroom stuff, etc.

These days, used film gear in Toronto seems grossly overpriced. Old Canon FD stuff at Henry's is tagged at about 3-4 times the going eBay rate. I wonder who, if anyone, actually buys the stuff.

Used gear in Toronto is simply not competitive with any of the outfits mentioned previously (Keh, B&H, Midwest, etc.). New prices are just laughable, with EOS lenses going for about double the US price.

I would love to buy locally, even pay a small premium despite our dollar's strength, but ....

Jaan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    One thing about importing from KEH into Canada. I always seem to get hit with pretty hefty customs fees. (15-25%) Funny, that didn't happen when I ordered a flash from B&H. Maybe Canada Customs has my number now.

KEH is pretty good, though. I just got a "bargain" close-up barrel that was perfect except for one scratch on the paint.

If you happen to be in Toronto, Henry's is a fun place (well, a couple of places around the corner from each other) to look around in. Also right in that neighborhood is Downtown Camera (www.downtowncamera.com) on Queen (lots of new and used stuff) and Commercial Camera Repair (www.commercialcamerarepair.com) in another little storefront right beside Henry's on Church, with some nice vintage cameras.

Cheers,
    Tom,

The reason why you get hit with fees is due to the courier choice KEH uses. If you cheap out and send the gear ground, you are going to be hit with "brokerage" fees. With the more expensive overnight option, you don't deal with that.

Camera gear is duty free but you are on the hook for sales taxes. Considering that used gear is insanly overpriced in Toronto. I can live with paying the sales taxes.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeets View Post
    Sadly, the best place IMHO went out of business years ago - Alt's. Decent prices, and may of the staff actually knew the equipment. I remember when it had tons of MF and LF gear, darkroom stuff, etc.

These days, used film gear in Toronto seems grossly overpriced. Old Canon FD stuff at Henry's is tagged at about 3-4 times the going eBay rate. I wonder who, if anyone, actually buys the stuff.

Used gear in Toronto is simply not competitive with any of the outfits mentioned previously (Keh, B&H, Midwest, etc.). New prices are just laughable, with EOS lenses going for about double the US price.

Jaan
    I heard the reason why Henry's prices the used gear so high is a bait and switch technique to get you to buy a Canon 40d.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use KEH and Samys. Both were price competitive on the Hasselblad equipment that I brought.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin