Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,911   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Used camera sellers.

Now that I'm in the market for a new/used higher end Nikon I was wondering if there are any "good" dealers out there.Pays to shop around.

Thank You

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    KEH in Atlanta, Georgia. They're probably the best big national reseller. They'd be my first stop if I wasn't interested in dealing with Ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the best places for used equipment hands down is http:www.KEH.com They have a great reputation in the community. I've bought a couple items from them with outstanding service. Good people to talk to.

I've heard good things about Collectible Cameras : http://www.ritzcam.com/index.htm though I have never bought from them.

Stores like Samy's, Adorama and B&H have a good selection of used (and of course new) equipment, but I find with these places, since they really cater to the new market, you have to go there in person to see what they have - they don't list everything and what they do list is sometimes out of date. I walked into Samy's and found a deal on a next to new flash bracket for my Hassey. It wasn't listed on their website at the time.

Henry's in Toronto has a decent selection of high end used Nikons the last time I was there (spring of this year) - a few F4's and F5's. Another place that had small but very decent selection was Headshots - now owned by Henry's. Don't know how up to date their websites are, but I'd call too to check. Headshots has really good staff.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 10-12-2007 at 04:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in Henry's a couple days ago. They had a nice looking F4s for just $599. OTOH I ordered a bargain grade from KEH for less then $180. With the exchange the difference is even worse.

You could check with www.mpex.com.

Depends on what formats you want. Some things are better at different places.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second (fifth?) KEH and MPEX. KEH has a good selection, a great return policy and a very conservative rating system. MPEX tends to be better for large format stuff, but can have some good deals on other stuff and are quite above board.

Unless they have something rare, I'd pass on Ritz. I've had three bad (fungus, or non-functioing) lenses from Ritz out of seven transactions. Only two ever got resolved despite copious time put in on my part. I am not a picky person, but I expect something in "9" or "9-" to actually function.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mike:

i have bought from both keh and ritz.
    they are both good places to buy from,
    and really nice too.

-john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Occassionally, craigslist.com has good deals on camera equipment. Obviously, you are not purchasing from a dealer but I managed to acquire some very nice cameras at reasonable prices.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have had very good luck buying two F5's and three F100's on eBay. These were honestly-rated and were all in "near new" condition.

This was about a two years ago when a lot of pros were rushing to digital and dumping their recently-acquired film gear. There are undoubtedly still bargains to be had for these two models if you search the listings.

Also, I certainly don't think you can go wrong with KEH - from whom I've purchased lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH wins hands down in my book. Very conservative grade ratings, no questions asked return policy, and prompt service are value added services. If the item costs more from them, the peace of mind that you've gotten exactly what you bargained for is worth it.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin