Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,289   Online: 835

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did Reg work for Jessops?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Jessops is the only high-street store that still stocks Super-8 film, so go easy on them!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    I think Jessops is the only high-street store that still stocks Super-8 film, so go easy on them!
    Go easy on them? Are you having a laugh? We don't just bite the hand that feeds round here, we want the whole arm
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, when my local two start putting film and darkroom consumables back on display, I'll probably buy some. Until then I will not be holding my breath.

BTW, that Magnifax is on special order for 28-day delivery (Collect At Store: not available). What that means in English is that they get your order and then get it shipped to you directly from the UK distributor RK Photographic (www.thedarkroom.co.uk). Jessops do not even see it, let alone stock it.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Go easy on them? Are you having a laugh? We don't just bite the hand that feeds round here, we want the whole arm
    Why stop there?

In fact, Jessops gets slagged off pretty much on any photo-forum, usually well deservedly. Digital photographers don't think they're great either.
    There are some very nice people in the branch nearest to me, quite knowledgeable aswell, and usually delighted to talk about analogue stuff - (they sell the odd film, which I have bought in an emergency, but you have to watch the sell-by date). But they worked in the extremely good camera shop that was there before being taken over. They also have packs of Ilford Multi - very battered ones, two packets only, size 10 x 8 only, in full sunlight in the window. (None elsewhere in the shop). Those packets haven't moved for months - I give them a little wave as I pass by....

Shooter
    35mm
    I went into the Northampton Jessops store today as I was passing anyway. Nothing on display but the young lad said that he'd go to the store in the back and note all B&W chems etc they had and came back with a list. So 10 out of 10 for trying. The stock was limited to say the least but his older colleague said that Jessops would only ever carry a very small stock of such items in store as it was trying to persuade customers to use the website, order there and have the stuff delivered to the store of choice for collection. That way the warehouse stock turns over much faster -important for limited life items and there was no charge for the service.

He was keen to "chew the fat" with me as Jessops assistants used to want to do but I was in a hurry.

I haven't checked prices via the website nor the delivery time but if these match other mail order suppliers then it indicates they are trying albeit the days of a large stock in the shops has gone.

For most of us ordering a couple of days in advance isn't too big a hassle, provided we live reasonably close to a Jessops store which I don't.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but if Jessops attitude in Northampton is a sign of a change of attitude overall then I am a little happier.

I certainly wasn't treated as well on a previous visit.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    BTW, that Magnifax is on special order for 28-day delivery (Collect At Store: not available). What that means in English is that they get your order and then get it shipped to you directly from the UK distributor RK Photographic (www.thedarkroom.co.uk). Jessops do not even see it, let alone stock it.
    While I don't doubt that's true now, the Jessops warehouse stickers on the box for mine, and the fact it was delivered from stock next day, suggest that has not always been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The stock was limited to say the least but his older colleague said that Jessops would only ever carry a very small stock of such items in store as it was trying to persuade customers to use the website, order there and have the stuff delivered to the store of choice for collection. That way the warehouse stock turns over much faster -important for limited life items and there was no charge for the service.
    I don't doubt this is true. Anyone who has ever rifled through the piles of discounted out-of-date films has to realise that it can't be economic to have to throw half your stock out every few months because it's out of date.

Don't get me wrong, I hardly think Jessops are the be all and end all, but the staff in my local branches (now branch, sad to say,) have always been helpful and more than accommodating. They've sometimes looked baffled when I've asked for something they need to dig through the dusty corners of the storeroom - or ask an older colleague - to find, but that says more about disappearing demand than it does about the standing staff instruction to hate all film customers that some people seem to believe they have.

Fundamentally, I can't understand how it can be considered a success for us to see any retailer/distributor servicing us, however badly, go out of business. The morbid delight in dancing on their grave just seems odd; there are a few around these parts who it seems will be having a similar victory parade when Dwayne's go out of business - the fact that will be the end of Kodachrome will be just an annoyance on the minor scale of not having a nose, far outweighed by the wound they will have inflicted on their faces.

Anyway, Jessops will continue to retain some of my business, for as long as the various alternative retailers continue to have entirely opaque "make 'em guess" stock control, fail to accept AMEX, and fail to make delivering to a work address a simple exercise.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
    My local branch of Jessops has shut

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
    One of mine has in Plymouth (there are two within five minutes' walk of where I work.) Sadly for the staff, who have always been very helpful, only one of the half dozen is to be re-deployed at the other shop. I did rather well out of the closure - lots of B/W paper at half its normal retail price, likewise bulk film, nice new developing trays at only ten percent of their normal price and a Kodak Ektalite IR remote Carousel slide changer for £8. All sorts of other things besides that I can't remember, but every day the shelves were re-stocked with forgotten things dragged out of the store.
    The strange thing is that I can remember all the bells and whistles about Jessops opening their first shop in Plymouth when they took over Tom Molland Ltd about twenty years ago.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blimey ---- you post a note that confirms film isn't dead (Jessops had tried to ignore it but it won't go away) and the response is one of antipathy to a company that's really trying to put the recent debacle behind them. Come on folks ANY resurgance of film is worth celebrating... unless of course you WANT to play the martyr.
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm
    I buy chemicals from them - they get DD-X (for example) in the shop within a few days and it's £11.99, about the same as elsewhere but I don't pay any postage. Their own brand fixer etc are perfectly good and usually in stock. The website shows 157 lines of darkroom paper and 9 enlargers, so it's not all bad news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin