Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,495   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Even Jessops have spotted that film is not dead.

I searched for Meopta (thinking of changing the old 5A) in google and found this link
    http://www.jessops.com/Store/s8326/0...s.aspx?&comp=n

Looks like Jessops have started to stock darkroom stuff again, they have quite a list of Ilford papers .
    They've also ditched the consumer electronics and are clearing the SatNav.... it's like getting to know an old friend again after a big argument

WELCOME BACK Jessops
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have noticed more papers and chemicals back in my local branch, albeit the prices are a bit steep.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    I searched for Meopta (thinking of changing the old 5A) in google and found this link
    http://www.jessops.com/Store/s8326/0...s.aspx?&comp=n

Looks like Jessops have started to stock darkroom stuff again, they have quite a list of Ilford papers .
    They've also ditched the consumer electronics and are clearing the SatNav.... it's like getting to know an old friend again after a big argument

WELCOME BACK Jessops
    I can't say they 'never' dropped film stuff, because I haven't been using film that long, but they have stocked all the film accessories I can think of for at least the last 18 months that I have.

Certainly, 18 months ago I was able to buy can opener, developing tank, fixer, developer, darkbag, and all the other bits and bobs, 'cos I did. I also have regularly bought fixer and the like from the highstreet Jessops near me - it may not be the cheapest, but it certainly wins for convenience. I've bought developing trays from the highstreet and still buy slidemounts and the like there because I'm disorganised. (And I know for a fact that they have been continuously stocking Meopta enlargers over that time as well - mine came from them about 9 months ago.)

Jessops 'exit' from the film market is much over-egged here on APUG, I've noticed. Yes, they've made a lot of mistakes, and yes we can argue that trying to turn into a clone of Dixons is a poor strategy (and I think we'd be right.) There is an element here though that won't be satisfied until all visitors to Jessops.com are greeted with "Digital sucks, buy film!" in 42pt lettering. (This is not a UK only phenomenon of course - the recent absurd suggestion of boycotting Calumet until they put a link to APUG on every page is a similar transatlantic example of what happens when victim culture goes mad...)
    Last edited by tim_walls; 10-13-2007 at 12:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling & note about enlargers.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Jessops 'exit' from the film market is much over-egged here on APUG, I've noticed. Yes, they've made a lot of mistakes, and yes we can argue that trying to turn into a clone of Dixons is a poor strategy (and I think we'd be right.) There is an element here though that won't be satisfied until all visitors to Jessops.com are greeted with "Digital sucks, buy film!" in 42pt lettering.
    As I said I have nothing against Jessops - it's just good to see an old friend again , my local store now has a minilab for the FIRST time ever and I even saw some Ilford paper in there for the first time in months last week. I may start visiting morer regularly.
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If your local store has just acquired a minilab, sadly the odds are that it's not because they rediscovered film. Jessops are closing a lot of stores - chances are another store in your area has been closed and they've moved the remaining equipment to yours, I'm afraid.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've started and commented on quite a few Jessops / Digital threads. My posts and opinions are based on my personal experience. If people disagree then that's fine; everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

The darkroom materials and kit have always been on the Jessops site, albeit since the redesign hidden away on submenus. However, the range and quantity stocked even at the warehouse have declined massively over the last few years.

A wide range of traditional materials and accessories used to be on display in most stores so that you could walk in off the street, have a browse, pick it up off the shelf and buy it then and there. When this stopped being common practice it was at least kept in the back room so that you could walk in off the street, ask for it and buy it then and there.

Increasingly I've found it's now a case of, "Well, we can order it for you", or sometimes, "You might be able to go on our website and order it yourself!" (this in the Manchester city centre store a couple of months back for a bottle of fixer!).

If I have to order something and wait for it then I'll go for the lowest online price (which is very rarely Jessops) or (more likely) I'll pick a firm who actively support traditional photography instead of actively discouraging people from buying film cameras and marginalising traditional products at every opportunity.

Online I go to Silverprint, Mr CAD and Nova Darkroom. In the high street I go to Jacobs, who have a great selection of traditional products right out on display. Slightly off the high street but still usually walk-in-and-buy, Calumet are still fairly good for a range of traditional gear. These companies actively support my hobby so I actively support them.

Some of the old-school Jessops staff left over from the good old days are very good indeed. A lot of the new lot know nothing about traditional photography (and, truth be told, not much more about digital!).

Like I said, I'm basing this on my experience. Your Mileage May Vary.
    Last edited by FrankB; 10-13-2007 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It was Jessops that trained me to shop on-line; with other retailers.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    It was Jessops that trained me to shop on-line; with other retailers.

Nice one Dave but doesn't this belong to the "Is Deadpan Dead?" thread?

Were you ever the warm-up for Reginald Dixon at the Tower Ballroom?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear old Reg, I remember him well.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My local branch of Jessops has shut

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin