Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,372   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak Exits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak is not getting out of the film business. Not when it represents 50% of its income! That would be a foolish move.

They are simply not sponsoring the Olympics after the current contract is up, which means that they are no longer the 'official film of the Olympics'.

Their method of reporting it and stating it is certainly skewed.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I concur with the others who've noted that the reporter added in a subjective personal opinion regarding "getting out of the film business". The only objective fact reported was that they were dropping their Olympics sponsorship.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Kodak's marketing problem is that they're not getting the respect they believe they deserve in the digital arena, so they feel they have to constantly remind everyone that they're metamorphosing from a colossal film giant into a lithe digital company. The mistake in that approach is that nobody cares what they're changing from or to. People care what they are now. If they offer film products, then they should tell us that directly. If they offer digital products, then they must tell us that directly. They should quit blathering on about transition periods and changes of emphasis and the great white hope of the future. It alienates the hardcore film users who take every marketing statement literally, and it does nothing for the digital buyers who're interested in what's currently in the shops.

The best thing Kodak could do for digital marketing is release a high-end SLR with a full-frame sensor and at least one unique virtue (perhaps 30-megapixel resolution or something like that). At present, as far as the digital consumer is concerned, Kodak is represented by a great fleet of mediocre digital compacts, each with a token gimmicky feature. Nobody cares! Canon's pro SLRs are worth a fortune in marketing exposure. The whole world believes Canon symbolises quality, which allows them to sell rubbish cameras with a fat profit margin at the cheap end, because people will buy them anyway. Nikon did the same for decades. If Kodak did so they would no longer have to harp on about their digital future at every opportunity, because the SLR would make that statement clear to the whole world. And few film users would take offence at a DSLR in the line-up if Kodak kept churning out the celluloid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Their method of reporting it and stating it is certainly skewed.
    Not just the reporting in the article, which by the way was a Canadian newspaper so it's no wonder they got it wrong , but I would have to say the title of this thread leaves people to fill in the gaps - and we know what happens when APUGers fill in gaps of information ...

The news is no news to me. The thread is another opportunity to bash Kodak. Have at it.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Considering all of the doping scandals in the last two Olympics, perhaps Kodak feels that a Big Pharmacy company would be a more appropriate sponsor!
    Newspaper articles are rarely correct. About the only fact we can take from this is that Kodak is no longer supporting the IOC's corrupt olympic games.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty71 View Post
    .....About the only fact we can take from this is that Kodak is no longer supporting the IOC's corrupt olympic games.
    Yes, but you also just added in a subjective opinion by including the word "corrupt".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember seeing a sign in a resort tavern years ago that read:
    "If your so damm smart, how come your not rich?"

Makes you wonder about all those giving opinions on what Kodak (or any company) should do or must do to improve.

Kodak has my support. If they have a good product (and they do in film) I will buy it. My first digital camera was a Kodak (DC120) and the longer I used it, the more dissatisfied I became.

Kodak was an is a great company. Long live the king.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One or two posters have realised what the Kevin the OP meant, except Ron (PE) & Dorian Gray.

Personally I use Kodak B&W film, and want them to keep manufacturing. But inept Press Releases do Kodak no favours, the fact that a reporter can say "getting out of film" is because that was the tone of Kodak's wording.

As Ron (PE) says Kodak are still very reliant on film sales, and all we are saying is poorly written Press Release can only do the company harm.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Yes, but you also just added in a subjective opinion by including the word "corrupt".
    Unfortunately not if you've been following the headlines:

BBC Documentary on IOC Corruption

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In response to Ian's comment, here are some additions of my own for everyone interested.

Dorian Gray has painted a very accurate picture of some of the feeling inside Kodak. (sorry for the literary allusion here)

Kodak strives for excellence and makes some of the finest large sensors for digital, but hardly anyone knows how much technology out there comes from Kodak in the digital world. Of course, we refrain from talking about it on APUG as it is a verboten subject. In the 80s, Kodak was 10 years ahead of most Japanese R&D in digital, but Kodak elected not to sell anything until it was nearly too late.

But OTOH, when they made 35 mm sized full screen sensors into a high end digital camera, they were too soon with too much and had insufficient support infrastructure.

In addition, to add insult to injury, at the Atlanta Olympics the press used the 35mm full frame Kodak digital cameras and found them to be excellent. The problem was that for the first few hours, the OS/2 based network used by Kodak would not work. IBM had a glitch.

So, that and other problems marred Kodak's entry into the high end field. (along with cameras that didn't work correcty, cameras that were too slow, cameras that used up batteries, glitchy software that erased the Windows config.sys when installed, and one entire support group quitting within one month to go to better pastures - see below on this)

I saw that Kodak was not a 'digital' or 'computer software' company at heart, and this was the source of some of these problems. In my own area, I said often "we do not know how to manage software development!"

There are many many painful stories I could tell you about Kodak's startup attempts in this area, and how pained they felt internally. It is no wonder that they hired Perez. Among other things, what engineeer would want to work in Rochester. They could be in Texas or Calif. Perez has been able to reverse that trend. We kept losing key digital people. Now, many of them are promoted internally from analog areas and retrained as needed.

Bashing Kodak and anything leading to decreasing sales will leave future developments (another pun?) to Fuji and Ilford. I am fully aware that these companies are very high calibre, but is the withdrawal of Kodak what you want? Truly?

Kodak has pioneered many major film and paper improvements through the years including the latest that you are now using, 2e senstization. This required years and millions of dollars in investment starting nearly 20 years ago and continuing to the present. The huge film sales during that time was what funded the R&D.

If we lose Kodak, I think that for the most part, we will then see digital take over motion picture. Fuji products will not be a major contributor to filming in the US or probably Bollywood. I know that Fuji sells camera and print films, but their sales are miniscule beside Kodak's mopic film sales. Without these sales, color will go downhill in terms of R&D. Ilford does not make it and Agfa is pretty much frozen. I doubt if Fuji will have the ability to budget big changes. They have nothing like 2e sensitization and unless they license it from Kodak, they will have to do the R&D themselves on an alternative.

I buy Ilford and Kodak products. All color film is Kodak and 1/2 of my B&W film is Ilford. I use Ilford and Kentmere paper. I'm trying to support my favorites. And, I would not knock any one of those 3, nor would I knock any of the others unless there is a quality issue raised here that I might shed light on.

PE

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin