Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,520   Online: 845

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak Exits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No, it's not bad journalism at all. If you read the whole of the Kodak press release, which I have, you'd see that it is so heavily implied. The journalist says "getting out of" that doesn't quite mean exiting but then we all know that Kodak is having to re-invent itself. Kodak should learn from it's rival Fuji who are stating they are still committed to film.

There does seem to be something seriously wrong with Kodak's marketing and publicity.

Ian
    Kodak has been shooting itself in the foot for several years, on one hand it keeps telling us that it is committed to film and at least color paper, then on the other hand some idiot tossed out a press release that was not well thought out. I dont know that the grand scheme is, but p####ing off or scaring its analog customers is not helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another dumb ass reporter placing his spin on things. Check out official EK news on the NYSE, and the words are different.

Of course given the hatred for Kodak at APUG, why does this not surprise me.
    :rolleyes:

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gordon;

It isn't any surprise to me either, and may explain why Kodak does not visit APUG visibly. They are tired of the verbal abuse. Yes, they can do things better, but I'm sure that both Ilford and Kentmere could do things differently in some areas as could Fuji.

These people have to remember that while trying to stay in the film business to supply them with analog products, Kodak sales dropped 90%! They are therefore in rather difficult shape trying to keep their heads above water while trying to move to digital and at the same time to try to supply new and improved quality analog products.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, I don't think anyone in this thread has been bashing Kodak at all. Now the reporter for the Globe and Mail has taken a hell of a trashing - but it's well-deserved.

But, this thread does remind me I want to pick up a couple of rolls of 135 Portra for our upcoming weekend trip down to Maryland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Kodak strives for excellence and makes some of the finest large sensors for digital, but hardly anyone knows how much technology out there comes from Kodak in the digital world. Of course, we refrain from talking about it on APUG as it is a verboten subject. In the 80s, Kodak was 10 years ahead of most Japanese R&D in digital, but Kodak elected not to sell anything until it was nearly too late.....

I buy Ilford and Kodak products. All color film is Kodak and 1/2 of my B&W film is Ilford. I use Ilford and Kentmere paper. I'm trying to support my favorites. And, I would not knock any one of those 3, nor would I knock any of the others unless there is a quality issue raised here that I might shed light on.

PE
    It's a pleasure to read your comments, PE. They are always correctly written!

Helcio

Shooter
    35mm
    Digital technology changes everything, including the way they market their products and services. Their new business strategy requires them to reassess their marketing tactics as well, and adapt them to changing market conditions and evolving customer behavior.

Kodak is committed to a digitally oriented growth strategy focused on helping people better use meaningful images and information in their life and work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Kodak is implying a digital GROWTH strategy. If indeed they're giving up on their cash cow, which brings in half of their revenue, they'd be dumber than a bucket of rocks.
    They can't grow with film, but they can still make money with it. Talk about a mature market...
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Of course given the hatred for Kodak at APUG...
    Not hatred, Gordon. Just confused and extreme, chronic frustration.

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dsullivan View Post
    Digital technology changes everything, including the way they market their products and services. Their new business strategy requires them to reassess their marketing tactics as well, and adapt them to changing market conditions and evolving customer behavior.

Kodak is committed to a digitally oriented growth strategy focused on helping people better use meaningful images and information in their life and work.
    Yes, undoubtedly, as has been much discussed, debated and argued about to the point of fisticuffs here in many threads.

Welcome to APUG. While we may shoot "old school" we are not ignorant of the modern ways - after all this IS an internet forum.

And, as photographers with much experience and many skills - we are well aware of trends in the industry and the markets they serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think Kodak is implying a digital GROWTH strategy. If indeed they're giving up on their cash cow, which brings in half of their revenue, they'd be dumber than a bucket of rocks.
    They can't grow with film, but they can still make money with it. Talk about a mature market...
    - Thomas
    The important thing is to not only continue our support of film photography but to emphasize our preference for it to newcomers.

A "mature market" does not have to be a dying one - but it can well be such if it does not "recruit" new consumers. Part of that is not 'dissing a company that has been involved in film photography almost from the beginning.

What is needed here on APUG is change in attitude toward Kodak. We need to shift from antagonism to an attitude that endorses and embraces the Company's film division.

As PE points out, why would a Kodak rep ever come onto this site? It would be like asking Marie Antoinette how close she would like her hair cut!

If APUG really wants to be an influence in the continuation of film photography, it has to stop the negativity toward Kodak and seek ways of working together with it to advance our common interests.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George;

Thanks. That is a very sensible proposition. Now, who will bell the cat and call Kodak?

BTW, don't suggest me. Many of my 'complaints' do get through to Kodak as it is. What they need is an outsider with some degree of credibility.

PE

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin