Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,712   Online: 886

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak Exits

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the statement "The company, based in Rochester, N.Y., is getting out of film products and moving into the digital world, and with that comes a new marketing approach, the company said in a statement yesterday." that is most disturbing.

It doesn't make sense when you put that against the recent launch of the new version of Tmax 400 and their press statements.

Perhaps we might see the Silver based side of the business split from the parent company, and left to sink or swim on its own.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well...at 55 to 65 million $ to keep that slot, and with a shrinking film market?
    I'd exit too. Spend that money on other marketing avenues to reach out to traditionalist film users. I think they need to stress the art, look, feel, archivalness, etc of film if they want sales to increase again. Heck, just come out with a killer TV ad that stresses "being different - show your personality - be a leader - shoot film"...and they'll get quite a few of the younger crowd interested in film!
    Almost all the olympic shooters will be using high end DSLRs in blast mode anyway. How does Kodak Film fit in as a sponsor any more?
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd question some of the statements made by the reporter - especially those indicating that Kodak is getting out of film altogether. This seems to be a story about Kodak exiting the Olympics with a bunch of reporter foolishness thrown in.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the article says is that Kodak is in the process of moving from film to digital. Doesn't imply anything other than a change in emphasis. And frankly it is good they are, otherwise there would be no Kodak left right now to make anything. With the drop in demand for film, if they had done nothing, they would be bankrupt by now.

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I'd question some of the statements made by the reporter - especially those indicating that Kodak is getting out of film altogether. This seems to be a story about Kodak exiting the Olympics with a bunch of reporter foolishness thrown in.
    juan
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It appears the reporter read Kodak's Elizabeth Noonans statement fairly literally "As we complete the transformation of Kodak, it makes sense for us to take a new direction," Noonan said. "Digital technology changes everything, including the way we market our products and services"

but then she says "the company is committed to a digitally oriented growth strategy focused on helping people better use meaningful images and information in their life and work."

Those are from Kodak's own Press Release, Ms Noonan is Director of Kodak's Brand Management.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    juan
    Very good point, Juan. In fact, who knows what the real story is?
    Kodak does, that's who. What is utterly asinine is that Kodak has not followed the excellent example given by Harman Technologies (in the person of Simon Galley) in choosing to respond directly to the consumer right here on this very forum (among the other important photographic forums).

They could squash any untrue rumor at all —or diffuse useful information— without spending one. damned. penny. I resist calling names, but it seems to me that this lack of vision smacks of stupidity. Again. .. or still.

Get with it, Kodak. Isn't thirty years of dumb moves enough?

. . . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, they're ending their Olympic sponsorship? Big deal. I doubt they're the only N. American-based company that will stop after Beijing in 2008.

Almost every article in the past 5 years has cited the "transformation".

Nothing new here that I can see. We know where the company's future emphasis will lie because there's no chance that any manufacturer can grow a film business very far.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bad journalism, if you ask me. The journalist leaves you with the impression that Kodak is exiting the film business when just a few days earlier we read in a press release from Kodak about a newly reformulated TMax 400 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Bad journalism, if you ask me. The journalist leaves you with the impression that Kodak is exiting the film business when just a few days earlier we read in a press release from Kodak about a newly reformulated TMax 400 film.
    No, it's not bad journalism at all. If you read the whole of the Kodak press release, which I have, you'd see that it is so heavily implied. The journalist says "getting out of" that doesn't quite mean exiting but then we all know that Kodak is having to re-invent itself. Kodak should learn from it's rival Fuji who are stating they are still committed to film.

There does seem to be something seriously wrong with Kodak's marketing and publicity.

Ian

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin