Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,622   Online: 880

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the return of Kentmere's Art range of FB papers?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please!

69 75.00%
  • No thanks.

5 5.43%
  • No opinion.

18 19.57%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    It's good to see if Kentmere/Ilford can't bring back the old papers, it will continue to make the current line-up.
    How on earth do you read Simon's post as saying "cant".

Other threads have plenty of information as to why Kentmere are unable to manufacture these papers. Ilford has only owned Kentmere for a week, it will take time for Ilford management to assess what can & can't be done at Kentmere.

So lets give Simon & Ilford(Harman) a chance.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    How on earth do you read Simon's post as saying "cant".

Other threads have plenty of information as to why Kentmere are unable to manufacture these papers. Ilford has only owned Kentmere for a week, it will take time for Ilford management to assess what can & can't be done at Kentmere.

So lets give Simon & Ilford(Harman) a chance.

Ian
    I believe you may have misunderstood my message or I've been unclear. Regardless, I was merely try to convey that is good to see that Ilford is committed to producing the current product line, even if they couldn't/will not bring back Kentmere's old papers.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here is the way I see this whole thing.

Ilford has been very accommodating to photographers by offering special cuttings of seldom-used film sizes on an annual basis, they have also reintroduced a favorite "niche" film, the SFX 200 (I think), and because of this "can do" attitude I think we almost expect something "special" from this Ilford/Harman/Kentmere group.

I think it will take a while for Harman to completely evaluate what they have purchased. I think they WOULD consider making some of Kentmeres special papers again IF THE RAW PAPER STOCKS WERE AVAILABLE TO COAT ON. Making the paper requires a paper mill willing to make it, and in small enough quantity to be economically feasable to Harman.

I also suspect that Kentmere has a smaller coating line, and because of this, it may actually be possible to more easily make "specialty" papers in reasonable quantities, but this is speculation on my part. The economic savings of combining both companies JUST MIGHT result in many new or reissued products to please us finicky eaters. Lets just wait and see.........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have probably hit the nail on the head

As Ilford are also going to be manufacturing the Bergger papers then acquiring Kentmere makes a lot of sense.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian,

From your various comments, do I take it that you worked for Kentmere Photographic at some point?

Tom.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd love to see them come back, though in the case of the Art Classic on a less strongly textured base.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmmm....

I wonder if Bergger Silver Supreme liths well? And whether it will be made in Mobberley now that Ilford will be making Bergger's papers, too?

FWIW, I found the base of Kentmere Art Classic to be too heavily textured for my taste. I like the COT320 that the Bergger is coated on far more to my taste.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Ian,
    From your various comments, do I take it that you worked for Kentmere Photographic at some point?
    Tom.
    No the only contact I've ever had with Kentmere has been at trade shows, and as a customer. I knew they recruited a new emulsion chemist a few years ago because I saw their adverts, which looked as if they knew exactly who they wanted. Within a very short period of time Kentmere launched variable contrast papers.

Because I worked as a photographic chemist for 10 years I had a little contact with Kodak, they sent a sales rep who had previously worked on emulsion research at Harrow (for many years) to see what we were doing.. For a short period I trialled an Ilford emulsion, so had contact with some of their research & sales people. Alongside this I worked with a consultant who's mother was a member of the Lumiere family, the French pioneers of the Autochrome process.

Although I changed direction in 1986 I still had contacts through work with a number of senior people in the film & paper side of the photo trade, including manufacturers & wholesalers.

So no I don't have any inside knowledge of Kentmere. But I do know Kentmere's always been fairly well run, was able to invest in a new coating line and as other companies suffered quietly held its own. I know another member of APUG looked at their accounts filed with Companies House (UK) just over a year ago and was very surprised how healthy their sales were compared to the shrinking sales of all their competitors.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    As I understand the matter this paper was discontinued because the paper base was no longer available. Kentmere have, I believe, tried other bases without success. I therefore suspect that the chances of it, or a similar product being produced are minimal given the above and the commercial demand for this product. I shall husband my remaining stock for the bromoil work for which I brought it.
    Surely there is a method. Foma can produce a similar variable contrast version of a textured art paper. I haven't opened my Bergger "silver supreme" pack yet, but from what I read it's on a textured cotton base.

Some didn't like the strong texture, but the rougher the better for me! It offered something unique which is a refreshing change.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, it needs to be an acid free paper that doesn't interact in a negative way chemically with the emulsion, holds up to wet processing, and is available in a form suited to Kentmere's coating equipment, which means it probably needs to be available in long rolls, unlike many of the papers used for handcoating, which are molded in sheets.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin