Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,580   Posts: 1,545,760   Online: 1053

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the return of Kentmere's Art range of FB papers?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please!

69 75.00%
  • No thanks.

5 5.43%
  • No opinion.

18 19.57%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "There have been alterations in the base material market too, as the producer Felix Schoeller ceased production and exited this market. They produced the base material for Kentmere's Art Classic, hence their search for a replacement. I'm afraid I don't know if this will affect Bergger's plans - I believe it won't, as they have confirmed their intentions to me since Schoeller's departure."
    Tim Rudman

From
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/board/...wer.php?id=118

I wonder if Tim could elaborate on Bergger's ideas for continuing production of this paper base. Is Silver Supreme a product on its last legs?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    ... is manufactured using a heavy spar loaded paper base material ...
    Just guessing here, but "heavy spar" looks like a literal translation of "tungspat", which is "barite" in English. Or "baryta", if you prefer.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All,

...we are currently looking at the base options going forward for the possible re-introduction of KENTMERE Art Classic.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Well this is fantastic news. Art Classic and Art de Luxe with a bit of luck might see the light of day.

Silverprint and Freestyle confirmed the discontinuation of Fomatone 532 Nature and again my heart sank thinking that another textured paper was gone.

However with thanks to fotohuis, he explained that Felix Schoeller based papers were no longer available and that Foma will be continuing stocks on a similar base sourced in the Far East.

So hopefully Simon will take note and look into the possibilities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Just guessing here, but "heavy spar" looks like a literal translation of "tungspat", which is "barite" in English. Or "baryta", if you prefer.
    I thought I recalled the term "spar paper" from somewhere so looked it up... from the OED:

Heavy Spar

The native sulphate of barium, barytes; also improperly applied to barium carbonate, and sometimes to the sulphate and carbonate of strontia.

1789 A. CRAWFORD in Med. Commun. II. 353 The muriated barytes..was obtained by the decomposition of the heavy spar. Ibid. 356 Heavy spar from the lead mines of Derbyshire. 1805-17 R. JAMESON Char. Min. (ed. 3) 107 Heavy spar, and actyonite afford examples of the hexahedral prism. 1845 ATKINSON in Proc. Berw. Nat. Club II. No. 13. 137 It is calc-spar, in a setting of heavy-spar or sulphate of baryta. 1885 Encycl. Brit. XIX. 86/2 Baryta White..is prepared by grinding to a fine powder the pure white native sulphate of baryta (heavy spar).

I really need to find something useful to do with my time on these long cold winter evenings - heading for the darkroom in 10 mins...

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may have bought the last two packs of Art Classic from B&H, just two days ago. I went to their website today to check, and it's gone - not even listed as discontinued, totally gone..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sanjay, the closest paper at the moment is Foma Nature 532 chamois available from Freestyle...(don't know all the other USA stockists).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ilford bought Kentmere, when?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Ilford bought Kentmere, when?
    Simon posted the information in October 2007; see this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin