Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,357   Online: 723

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Polaroid still used in science

Funny anecdote. I was just talking to the postdoc in my group. I noticed a sheet of Polaroid packfilm on his desk with funny looking circles. Turns out he was using it to align the ruby laser system we have. I asked him if he was just using scraps lying around (we have a LOT of old stuff lying around) and he said no. He actually likes using Polaroid film more than burn paper because you can see more of the structure of the laser pattern. In fact, one of the researchers on another project at the lab just put in an order for more film for this express purpose.

I doubt they use *that* much of it though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Every little bit helps!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    on movie sets they use the 600 to take snaps of sets , place a hole in the border and place them on large rings and then they have them ready to check the placement for the next shot.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    on movie sets they use the 600 to take snaps of sets , place a hole in the border and place them on large rings and then they have them ready to check the placement for the next shot.
    True, wardrobe and script supervisors still use Polaroid films for when they want a hard copy for quick reference. They used to be even more common on set, before digital.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They used hundreds of SX-70 shots and flash bars in the movie "The Martian Child", but it was shot about 2 - 3 years ago from what I understand.

They have several SX-70 shots going off in just about every scene.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, I'm sure Polaroid is still used as film. I thought it was interesting that in this case, it's essentially being burned up by a 15 joule laser...

Shooter
    35mm
    It's still used in my local photo shop for passport photos too. When I moved house I needed a photo to get my driving licence changed. The shop used one of those Polaroid cameras that take 4 pictures at once on one sheet of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You still see film used here and there in academia.

I suspect the most widely-used form of film may well now be holography film. You can still find Slavich holography film products all over the place at MIT.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll try to get a scan of one of the 'photos'. You guys might get a kick out of it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin