Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,257   Online: 820

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    That's unfortunate. EPN was a real standard for accurate, neutral color--always my first choice for copy work.
    Mine too. And I only have a few sheets left.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Is it [Maco IR 820c Aura] still made?
    NO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm really going to miss EPN, as it has been my standard for photographing artwork for many years. I have used Astia, but I didn't like the reformulated version from a few years ago.
    Just a note on stockpiling HIE - The base fog goes up rather quickly with age, even in the freezer. I've read that it was due to cosmic radiation, but am not sure about that.
    r.j. phil

www.rjphil.com

"What if they're not dreams - what if they're instructions?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not surprised in the cull with the Ektachrome slide films, I have used the E-100 series and I am happy with it.

Fuji has a simplified product line up in comparison to what Kodak was running with, so Big Yellow's rationalisation is not surprising. I would rather have just the E-100 series then no slide film at all.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't say that it's not surprising, but it is sad. They are all old tech films with probably very niche uses, but still...

I never used the slide films, but HIE is unique. The range of its sensitivity and its lack of an anti-halation layer give it a wonderful look that can't be duplicated in other films. I'll miss it. Heck, I liked the grain too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm going to miss HIE. Will have to carefully ration the 5 rolls left in the freezer. If my house didn't need two potentially expensive repairs then I would stock up with some more

Never used the slide films, but I have 5 rolls of recently expired EPN, bought as part of a job lot of expired slide film. Maybe I should hang on to them until they are rare and valuable

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What I find truly amazing is that they have been producing e64 until this year. No surprise it's finally being cut, good riddance. I am glad to see the old films cut so they can concentrate on keeping the new emulsions alive.

EPN though is the industry standard for accurate color and a bit of a loss for many I am sure as is HIR. Anyway trimming off the excess retro films isn't really that bad is it? Let us concentrate on the awesome modern film emulsions and forget the past, it is past.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah Stabbing pains to my heart HIE was my favorite black and white film.
    Time to buy up big!!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wonder how many employees will lose their jobs as a result of this action. What line of work will they go into now and how much less will that line of work pay?
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would imagine very few would lose any work. If Kodak discontinues a line of film because the need has basically disappeared, then these films probably only get a limited number of runs. From PE has said, Kodachrome for example only runs once a year for a couple hours. So cutting it would be just a blip on the radar of the coating machines...

Oh HIE. I miss you already. Does anyone want to loan me $500 to buy some? On a more serious note, how well does HIE keep frozen?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin