Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,500   Online: 690

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Darkroom Products Discontinued? or just Australia?

Don't think I've seen any mention of this on APUG.
    A B&W darkroom facility I use in Sydney has been told by Kodak that a couple of their darkroom supplies are no longer available.
    A few weeks back it was Polymax B&W paper dev, which made them switch to Dektol, so I wasn't complaining about that.
    Then today one of the darkroom techs said they had been told that B&W film fixer would no longer be available. They were using different fix for film & paper. I'm not sure what they will do about that.

Is this just Australia or a worldwide thing? I'm thinking that perhaps these products are still being made but Kodak Australia doesn't bring them in anymore.
    Also what should this facility do about the fixer? Can they just use the paper fix with a different dilution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought 2 packs of fixer from our locak store. They had it in stock and could get more according to them 2 weeks ago. So, if there is a change here, it took place in the last 2 weeks.

I just got several packs of different developers as well. Kodak has discontinued some small 1 L packs of developers, but still makes the 1 gal. I was told that.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Kodak's Black and white products.

Kodak anounced two years ago that they planned to dicontinue black and white products, starting with darkroom materials. The postings appeared in professional publications, and through organizations such as APA and ASMP.
    .....upon learning of this, I purchased 10 cases of Tmax 8x10 film and the needed chemistry, plus a freezer to store the film in. I'll try to purchase anouther 10 cases of film this year. That should get me through a life time of shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory bertolini View Post
    Kodak anounced two years ago that they planned to dicontinue black and white products, starting with darkroom materials.
    That's news to me... after all, they just came out with a new film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gregory, perhaps you should share the source for Kodak's plans with us all, and actually post some on-line links or scans of the articles.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    They were using different fix for film & paper. I'm not sure what they will do about that.
    Also what should this facility do about the fixer? Can they just use the paper fix with a different dilution?
    I'm not intimately familiar with Kodak's product line, but I don't recall their marketing specific fixers as being for film vs. paper. Kodak does offer several fixers, though, so I can certainly believe that your commercial darkroom was using different products for film and paper. If so, using the same product for both should work fine, although you might need to use different dilutions. Check the instructions on the bottle or packet for details. I've also heard that Kodak Flexicolor fixer (for C-41 film) can be used for both B&W film and B&W paper. Flexicolor fixer is very inexpensive, at least in the US, so this is a very cost-effective way to go. Of course, there are also suppliers other than Kodak -- Ilford, Fuji, Paterson, etc. all make B&W darkroom chemicals. I don't know anything about availability in Australia, though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Sites about kodak's plan to discontinue Black and White

Try these sites to learn about kodaks plan to discontinue black and white materials. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8231657/...ck-white-film/

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gregory;

That is B&W paper production only, and it took place about 2 years ago. It was done at the same time the shrinking market caused Agfa to fail and Ilford to falter.

It was in the midst of the biggest decline in conventional photo products to ever take place.

Since then, the market has stabilzed. Kodak has never said it would discontinue film and film still represents over 50% of the company income. They have just introduced new color and B&W films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory bertolini View Post
    Try these sites to learn about kodaks plan to discontinue black and white materials. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8231657/...ck-white-film/
    OK but that link has very old news only about discontinuing B&W paper manufacture.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin