Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,188   Online: 980

Thread: Foma T800

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Foma T800

Does it still exist? I see dev charts everywhere about this fantastic film, but I can't see anything to buy it. So has it been discontinued?
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a vague recollection of having read that it was discontinued, but I'm not positive of that. Certainly I haven't seen it in catalogs or even on Foma's Web site, just references from a decade or so ago.

For an EI 800 B&W film, I use Fuji Neopan 1600, rated at 800. This works pretty well developed in XTOL. (My next roll will be in DS-10, which I'm guessing will work about like XTOL with this film, although I have yet to try it.)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Oki for Neopan 1600, but does not exist in 120. And so expensive. Foma films are so cheap and beautiful...

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There was some trademark issue with Kodak about T200, so they changed the name to "Creativ 200," and if they made a T800, they probably renamed it as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Does it still exist? I see dev charts everywhere about this fantastic film, but I can't see anything to buy it. So has it been discontinued?
    It was a truly rotten film, with huge grain, poor tonality and not quite ISO 800 in speed increasing developers. The only reason it is touted as 'fantastic' is its non-availability. I shot 10-20 rolls of it when it was available and don't miss it at all. Ilford HP5 Plus is very nearly as fast (less than 1/3 stop difference in Microphen) and infinitely superior in every other way.

T200/Creative 200/Acupan 200 is another matter entirely. Still not quite 200 in speed increrasing developers (source: Foma tech sheets) but gorgeous tonality.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes indeed, all foma films actually sold are fantastic

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fomapan T800 was discontinued in 2001 due to very low sales wordwide. The grain was rather big and the investment for Foma to improve this film was too high due to the overal sales at that time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..we processed allot of the 800T. As a positive, I found it to be a very good film with a very unique grain-look. The DMAX produced was very good for a film of this speed and would push comfortably to 1600iso. We were sad to see it discontinued.

dw

www.dr5.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin