Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,759   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    Four reasons to celebrate , I love Kodachrome 64 but tried Astia last year for a portrait shoot and loved the outcome.

I keep looking for Spur products to try . retrophotographic are the photoimpex dealer in the UK but the link to Spur is often out of action . Is it good ?
    Keep on keeping on

Regards ; Chris
    Hi Chris,

the Spur developers are excellent. I often use the Spur HRX-2. Excellent results with Delta 100 & 400, T-Max 100 & 400, Fuji Neopan Acros 100, Agfa APX 100, Ilford HP5+.

Try them, you won't regret it!

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    35mm

new darkroom for me

I have just bought a professional photographers entire darkroom (not the room, just the stuff) for £300, and not long ago the enlarger alone would have been a bargain at this price. He also threw in a studio lights and stands as they were no good for digital. The plumbers coming round next week to fit the darkroom sink and then I'll have my first ever permenent darkroom space and I cant wait to get printing. I'll be buying lots of paper, chemicals, etc I'm going to fill the fridge and freezer just in case, but I think analogue is here to stay.
    Ritchie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for this thread, Digiconvert, some interesting points have been raised. I'd like the photo media to have a more positive outloook - they seem to report the negative happenings but rarely the postive, like the pending relaunch of the Agfa papers.

Film is still my choice of media. Since last summer, I've been thinking in terms of options.

Many folk seem to have an either / or attitute towards their choice of image-making medium. But when it comes to materials, digital technology is actually increasing the options availible to all photographers in some areas.

Lightjet / Lambda printing systems use photographic papers to output from digital files. When you consider that minilabs still use RA-4 papers for printing images originated on both film and digital media, it's easy to see a future for these materials. I can't see minilabs changing to inkjet or dye-sublimination papers - the expense would be huge!

Ilford / Harman is now producing a panchromatic monochrome paper, Galerie FB Digital, which is sensitive across the colour spectrum so that it can be used in lightjet printers. It's only sold in huge rolls atm, but who knows - they might sell it to the general public one day. Panalure replacement anyone?

De Vere is producing a digital enlarger to output files to photographic papers.

Film recording can output digital files to photographic film, giving a tranny or negative to file away for posterity.

Inkjet printers can produce enlarged negatives which are superior and easier to produce than sheet film equivalents (stay with me please!). The alternative / archaic processes are now within easy reach of small format film users for whom messing with litho film in the darkroom is off-putting or impossible. A platinum print from that precious old Kodachrome slide? No problem!

And the fact that cameras and darkroom equipment are dirt cheap at the moment means that it's cheaper than ever to acquire quality gear.

When the digital 'revolution' began in around 1998, a lot of commentators declared that film would be gone in a few years. It's still very much here, and I think that photographers are slowly realising that it's not an either / or situation - it's a question of using the tool and medium that fits the job best. When it comes to image-making, we have more choices than ever before. In many ways, analogue photographers have never had it so good.

A final thought: When Daguerrotypes were invented, the artist said "From today, painting is dead".

Well, painters still paint pictures.
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know of 3 people, includeing myself, who have started using film, from shooting exclusively digital in the last 12 months. I don't know anyone who was using film 12 months ago, and now shoots digital.

It's not a very big sample size, but It's enough to convince me that film will be around for a while yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting to note the number of UK/European based contributors to this thread as opposed to US contributors. Is it because I'm UK based or is the US market less optimistic about film ? Just a thought.
    Kevin - I did once post a thread asking if people would still use film if the only output method was digital enlargers and I was not exactly popular with some contributors. I love 'playing' in the darkroom but if I could only get my images digitally produced that would be fine with me - anyone who doesn't print their colour negatives at home does this anyway. The fact that I can shoot a film get it developed and onto disc within 20 minutes of finishing that film works for me !

Geoff - As you say not a 'reliable' sample in mathematical terms but as anecdotal evidence the trend seems to be a positive one. I think K64 may be a dead duck (for which I am really sorry) but it is a pretty old product and there is stuff out there which does as good a job in a different way.

Cheers CJB
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and what about APUG itself? I have some beautiful prints from various print exchanges and a fantastic collection of postcards which is growing again with round 12 of the postcard exchange. Share your work and enjoy other people's!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin