Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,301   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Shows

Shooter
    35mm RF

Camera Shows

I've heard from time to time that camera shows are places to find older equipment, but have never seen one advertised. Where does one go to find out when and where one is going to be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shutterbug used to be a good resource for shows like this, but I haven't looked through an issue lately.

I've been to a number of shows in the past year, and they can be a good source for older equipment, but I don't think the deals are generally as good as you can get online or on ebay. Keep in mind that most of the dealers at these shows are generally "for profit" professionals. But at least you get to inspect the goods at these shows.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Photorama show dates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The price you pay depends somewhat on your barganing skills, which isn't an option on-line or on ebay. Even though the dealers are for profit professionals, generally they know perfectly well what stuff sells for on ebay. At the last couple of New England shows I've gone to, I'd characterize the prices as a bit more than eBay or KEH on stuff that has good demand, and is always pricey, like Leica, Nikon and the like. But lots of other stuff was downright reasonable. I encountered a box-full of a Sinar view camera with lots of accessory pieces and a 210 Schneider Symar for $600 which seemed eminently reasonable. That one, I didn't want to look at too closely....
    The shows are a great resource if you want to compare several different models side by side. And as HKR pointed out, you get to actually look at the stuff, and you aren't reduced to trusting what some ebay seller is saying, or not, about an item.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That's why I'd like to go to one. Even if I don't buy a thing, I could get a better idea of what would suit my needs via hands-on comparisons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know there are ones in Watertown, MA a couple of times a year, but I don't know of others. If Whitey checks in, he knows the site and timing for the ones in MA and might know how to find out if there are others. I got a 6x9 Zeiss folder for about $30, IIRC.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I googled and accidently found one listed with the local carboot sales (for anyone in the UK looking for camera fairs). There's one in Potters Bar tomorrow morning at the Elm Court community centre and it's apparently fairly frequent (every few months). Will report back to see if it's any good. I'm looking for common stuff so the stuff at the big Photographica fair in central London once a year was kinda too high end for me and my budget. Not everyone wants a leica or hassy...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ones I know about in MA are sponsored by Photographic Historical Society of New England (http://www.phsne.org/). They do two shows each year in the spring and fall, and an auction.
    As for finding them in other places, Shutterbug is a good source, also the "event's" section in the newspapers, local shops, camera clubs and regional newsletters.

Barry

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone know about any camera fairs, car boot sales, camera shows, etc in the Indiana/Ohio area anytime soon? Where to look to find about these in advance? Help? I would like to find a cheap ($50 or less?) but reliable 6x6 like a Isolette or similar. I am a newbie, so to speak, but I have learned an awful lot on Apug in the last several years - many thanks to you all. And thanks for any assistance.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Just do a google search for Camera Shows and many will show up. The shows are getting fewer and significantly smaller, but they do still exist in most areas of the country.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin