Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,000   Online: 709

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is a website funded and paid for by Ilford and for that reason alone I would quite surpirsed to EVER see Kodak of Fuji commenting publicly on apug.

People like to bash Kodak because its so easy. I think people take the loss these esoteric materials as a personal attack on them or something.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fuji UK has (or, being in the UK, they would say "have") their own website with discussion forums, so they respond there.

There was a lot less of an atmosphere of "Kodak bashing" on the cine forums when the late John Pytlak was there to field questions. Kodak does get some abuse in the small gauge cine world about the demise of K40 and replacement with E64T in Super-8 rather than E100D, which is a much better film, but they did have good reasons for that (closer to ISO 40 for cameras without adjustable ISO, and it makes more sense to filter a tungsten film in daylight than to filter a daylight film in artificial lighting, if there is only going to be one color reversal film), and he was always there to explain things. I haven't been following those forums lately, so I don't know if someone else has taken up that role.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan View Post
    This is a website funded and paid for by Ilford and for that reason alone I would quite surpirsed to EVER see Kodak of Fuji commenting publicly on apug.

People like to bash Kodak because its so easy. I think people take the loss these esoteric materials as a personal attack on them or something.
    I am quite confident that:

1) Sean would be happy to have Kodak as an advertiser and financial supporter; and
    2) Ilford would have no problem remaining as a supporter, if Kodak joined in as well; and
    3) Kodak would have no problem with Ilford's support.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Apparently there isn't one. Fuji, however, has gotten a 'by' with it's pronouncements about continued commitment to film.
    Fuji has backed up their announcement with actions - websites, contests, etc. It looks like Kodak is starting to do the same, which is good news. Personally, I have no hard feelings towards Kodak, I just don't use very many of their products.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I guess the fact that Kodak has introduced a whole new line of Portra films and their new motion picture film gives them no credit then?

PE
    My take on some of your previous posts is that the research was already done, and that leaving machines idle means no profit, so they will continue to run thm until a major repair is required and the machines go silent. The investment costs were already sunk. If there is a serious innovation 3-5 years from now, maybe I'll change my mind.

A quick look at the Science & Technology page of their website makes not one mention of film.

The Consumer Products page devotes space to a photo of a bags for digital cameras, but film only gets a small text-only link to the side of the page.

And even the Consumer Film & Processing page barely mentions film, but does mention getting more from your film by haaving a Kodak Picture CD made.

Trying to sell film? You wouldn't know it from their website. In fact, I can't even find a link to "professional" films, or medium or large format film wihout using the search feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    My take on some of your previous posts is that the research was already done, and that leaving machines idle means no profit, so they will continue to run thm until a major repair is required and the machines go silent. The investment costs were already sunk. If there is a serious innovation 3-5 years from now, maybe I'll change my mind.
    Kodak does research at the present time in an ongoing process. It was both sunk costs and present costs to improve products. You see, the initial discoveries that led to the current films had a fault in terms of keeping. The film simply went bad too fast. So it is easy to sit back and make such a statement. No, I have to disagree with you. Sorry.

Their web page devotes a lot of space to the curve shapes, spectral sensitivites and other characteristics of the new products. They spent a lot of time introducing them at the ICPS conference as well.

PE

Gee....I still buy Kodak stuff. Not as much Kodak stuff as I did in the past, but Kodak stopped making some products (like AZO) and didn't come out with a replacement so I've had to look elsewhere. I'd be quite happy being greeted once more by the cheerful yellow and red boxes and envelopes and bottles stocking 100% of my locker (with maybe a shade of Agfa red hiding in the corner) but that can't happen now a days.
    I do have to say that Kodak people have always treated me great whenever I called their reps and while I now have Ilford and Kentmere white, Efke green and Foma blue sharing the locker I really don't feel that I've been neglected by the Great Yellow Father in Rochester. I'm actually excited about the new TMY!

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Japanese products - Michael Kadillak's question

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Michael;

It has been mentioned here elsewhere by an APUG member from Japan IIRC. I have been unable to find a reference and my last look at the Fuji US site failed to reveal a name.

I'll keep trying.

PE
    Try Megaperls. Dirk-san is a member here. He should be able to help.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a fact.

From a dead start in 2005, I am now able to match Azo with the qualifications noted by Alex Hawley and myself here. At the same time and with the same investment any other company could do the same with a dedicated staff in less time. (probably better)

Either they are not able to do it, don't care, or the market is too small. Ilford, Kentmere, Fuji and EFKE can all do it at the present time if they really want to and that is the short list. Or....... the company is incompetent!

I have blocked out the scaling problems, keeping problems and coating problems in this formula for myself, others can too with great alacrity! Yet, we see nothing on the near horizon unless M&P are about to announce something.

I have found that this is not a hard task. It can be done at home and therefore it can be done in the $1M lab such as I had at Kodak. John above asks about Azo. Well, the companies I listed can make a good work alike, but don't. The reason appears to be the market. There is none except that created by a few lovers of Azo. IDK how large that is or whether it justifies the work, that is TBD by the market itself when the time comes.

But, if the market is large enough, the task is simple enough to make money on Azo paper. Or, there is a reason why no one is jumping into it.

That is the crux of the matter.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    Try Megaperls. Dirk-san is a member here. He should be able to help.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Joto desu.

However, it is nearly bed time here Clarence and the Bills are losing to NE as expected by a big margin unless they scored big time while I've been typing here. The Steelers also lost!

Thanks.

Ron

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin