Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,793   Online: 901

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Resurgence of 110 film?

I don't know about you guys, but are my eyes fooling me? Yesterday at Walgreen's I saw 10 rolls of NEW Walgreen brand 110 film and the day before at Wal-Mart, there must have been 15+ rolls of Kodak Gold 400 110 film. I haven't seen this much 110 film ever.

To other 110 users out there, are you seeing more availability of 110 film?

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 11-27-2007 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    To other 110 users out there, are you seeing more availability of 110 film?
    I have only recently become a 110 user, but alas, I'm not seeing more availability of 110 film. Enough of the stuff on 'bay, and Ferrania still producing new stock. But more availability: no...

Still, even though there's quite some water separating us, it's good news that at least someone is seeing more availability .

(Simon-trigger: I'd love to see some B&W film in 110 format. Ah, well, dream on...)

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm
    I always carry a 110 camera loaded with color print film. The only problem is getting it processed. No local lab will touch it. I have to send film to a mass mailorder lab and the results are usually poor.

This week's camera is a Canon 110E. A major strength of the Canon 110's is that they take common batteries. My 110's that use K batteries are difficult to use. (Yes, I make my own K batteries from three 625's).

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    (Simon-trigger: I'd love to see some B&W film in 110 format. Ah, well, dream on...)

In one of my "just for the hell of it" phases, I made a jig for cutting down 35mm film to 110 size (16mm). It has two blades correctly spaced and guides 35mm apart. I load a 35mm cassette with FP4/HP5, feed it into the jig then switch out the lights. One swift pull and I have a strip of 110 width film. Having disassembled a 110 cartidge, I then spool the film and backing paper together, place in the cartridge and reassemble. There are a few provisos, not least that most 110 cameras require the perforations that cock the shutter and/or stop the film between what would normally be pre-exposed gaps. The Pentax 110s, however, don't rely on the notches and all is well as long as you can live with a steadily increasing frame gap. Development is straightforward, as my ancient Johnson tank will handle 16mm. It's not as hard as it sounds once you get the hang of it. Of course, another option would be to buy 16mm cine stock and sacrifice part of the picture area to perforations.

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I own a lab in sydney australia called the lighthouse I sell and process and print 110 film, own 110 camera and enjoy the format if anyone down here needs help with 110 film im happy to assist

~steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    I always carry a 110 camera loaded with color print film. The only problem is getting it processed. No local lab will touch it. I have to send film to a mass mailorder lab and the results are usually poor.
    hi crabby

wally's world .... they will send it to fuji ...
    they have been processing my 110
    ( and when i shot movie film my 8mm )
    film for a long time.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think you are seeing seasonal marketing. Mass market retailers are going to stock more amateur film just because it is the Holiday Season, and for many people, this is the only time of the year they take pictures. The real "test" would be if they still stock the film in February.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jobo once made all reels with one click setting for 110 film, so you could do 120, 220, 35 and 110. IDK if this is still true or if you now have to buy special reels.

I have never checked mine for the 110 setting.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    A few random thoughts/comments:

• The Sub Club site has lots of information on subminiature cameras and film, including 110. I seem to recall their having a description of how to make a tool to do the film cutting that Steve describes, but I haven't bothered to locate the exact URL.
    • I still see 110 cameras for sale, mostly as toys for kids. In addition to the seasonal marketing explanation offered by Phototone, it's conceivable that these toy cameras have experienced a recent surge in popularity. I have no data to back this up, though; it's just a hypothesis to be tossed out.
    • I picked up a Russian developing tank with an unusual design that supports 16mm, 35mm, and 70mm film formats. In theory I could develop 110 film in the thing, but I've never tried it. These tanks seem to be rare; I don't see any on eBay at the moment, although I do see a couple Russian tanks of another design. (Here's a photo of mine, if anybody cares. The spool can be put together with no spacers or with spacers of two different sizes to handle different film formats.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That Russian tank sounds a lot like the Lomo tanks for movie film, which can be set up for 8mm, 16mm and 35mm, depending on how you orient the reels and spacers.

Long ago I had a stainless steel reel for 110, so they do exist. The spiral was only on one side, and the other side had four radiating wires with a circular rim to hold the film in.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin