Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,094   Online: 875

Shooter
    Medium Format

Oriental FB WT in the UK?

Does anyone know who stocks Oriental warm tone in the UK?

FB or RC paper.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gary, I think this paper is defunct and no more (although I'd be happy to be proved wrong). I looked on Mr Cad and peter hogan's site, the 2 places where I used to get it, and it's not listed on either. I'm down to my last few sheets and I love the stuff - sad to see I cant get it anymore.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Gary, I think this paper is defunct and no more (although I'd be happy to be proved wrong). I looked on Mr Cad and peter hogan's site, the 2 places where I used to get it, and it's not listed on either. I'm down to my last few sheets and I love the stuff - sad to see I cant get it anymore.
    That's my understanding too, however various posts from the USA suggest that a new variant is available there.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It was a few posts that suggested that this was identical to Ilford WT with a much cheaper price tag. Peraps a few inquiries to Mr Cad might prompt him to stock it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

You guys are making me nervous. So I just went here and bought 500 sheets.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    It was a few posts that suggested that this was identical to Ilford WT with a much cheaper price tag. Peraps a few inquiries to Mr Cad might prompt him to stock it.
    Gary - the Oriental MG Warmtone that I used to use and still have a few sheets of is NOTHING like ilford warmtone in any shape or form. It has a semi-gloss finish, almost like a matt varnish if that makes sense, unlike the high gloss of ilford, it's base is similar in colour, if slightly warmer, and thinner than the ilford, and it responds in an entirely different way to developers and toning.

Perhaps the Oriental warmtone in that is available elsewhere is a different paper to the one I'm used to?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I feel like I should make one more statement here as I am the guy who bought a bunch of the newer Oriental and proclaimed it the same as Ilford WT FB. The truth is that I have only in the last year started using the Oriental but I have used the Ilford WT for several years. I just went through a box of prints from the late 1990s and the Ilford WT FB was very different than it is today. Back then it had a more semi mat surface with sort of a shiny slight textured look that if you caught the light off to the side the image was completely lost in textured glare. At some point the surface was changed and it became much smoother. But up till a couple of years or so ago it was creamier warm in color. At least the paper base seemed to be. Then it again changed and got brighter and whiter to where it is now. The Oriental I have been using in the last year is so close in appearance to the current Ilford paper that I can't tell them apart. I have been experimenting all year with Foma, graded Forte, Oriental and Ilford WT. I can tell the Foma because it has a slightly different surface. I can tell the Forte because it has a much brighter more neutral white base and a browner image. But I can't tell the difference between the Ilford prints and the Oriental prints at all. That is not to say that they won't react differently to different developers and toners. I don't experiment much in that way and I almost never tone prints. So that is all I can offer from my experience. I hope I don't miss lead anyone.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey - no problems Dennis. It's clear that we must be talking about very different papers ... it must be a completely different oriental warmtone than that which was available here until a year or so ago. Does it have the same hi-gloss finish?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with the Oriental Warmtone is the same as Dennis. There is no noticeable difference between it an the Ilford (except for price!! ). Same high gloss surface and the base color is the same. B&H is currently out of stock in the 11x14 so maybe the supply is starting to dwindle here, too. My understanding is that Oriental currently only make RC papers, though B&H have stocked it pretty regularly over this past year. I wonder if it will continue to be available here or disappear from shelves soon??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle has their site stating that more Oriental WT FB will be coming in on December 28th. Not sure about Oriental going away again. First I've heard of it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin