Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,690   Online: 695

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shrinking battery availability?

The usual topic of conversation re: product availability seems to be about film or darkroom supplies.

I am noticing another side effect of the consumer migration to digital cameras: in the last two months, I have noticed that it is increasingly difficult (and expensive) to find disposable batteries on store shelves.

As recently as last year, downtown Toronto was awash with little electronics and camera stores that carries the usual and unusual little batteries that have been favoured in the last 10 years of film cameras. But in the last two months, the CR-2s and CRV-3s etc seem to have all dried up. I now have to trek to a camera superstore like Henrys, or pay through the nose at The Source (nee Radio Shack.) And the selection at Radio Shack is slim enough to make me worried.

This is a bit disconcerting, because these are the batteries from the latest era of film cameras. Thank goodness for AA battery grips -- but I sometimes prefer to use cameras like the Nikon F80, or the Pentax ZX-M, without the battery grip. I feel like without the AA grips, I would be getting really worried...

Has anyone else noticed a decline in battery availability?
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    yup - especially the ones used for cds sensors, with the change from mercury to whatever it is the new ones have in them the voltage went higher ! (I think it was 1.3 to 1.5v maybe ?) - fine if you have some kind of voltage regulation, but many an old TTL metering system is now shooting way off target in exposure...

There is the company making the older (poisonous) batteries however - they often pop up on ebay with keywords plugged in so they turn up in many a search (Bolex, Leica, Olympus ... for example) - I decided the planet is worth more so dont use them, but some cameras are paper weights without them... and perhaps always were considering this (like many a digital camera)
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can find tons and tons of all kinds of batteries on eBay. That's where many of the small vendors have migrated to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And then there's PhotoBattery.com for the really obscure. They've come through for me a few times:

http://www.photobattery.com/
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been having trouble finding the old standard button-style MS76 or the lithium 3v equivalent, which replaces two MS76's. My Minolta flash meter takes 6 MS76's, Nikon FE2 and Leica M6 both take 2. They are getting scarce.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PhotoBattery.com!

PhotoBattery.com!

" 1.5v Silver Oxide replaces MS76, SR44, G13, V76PX, S1154
    Single or 4 or 8 pack"

$20 for the 8-pack.

No, I don't own the joint....

Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    I've been having trouble finding the old standard button-style MS76 or the lithium 3v equivalent, which replaces two MS76's. My Minolta flash meter takes 6 MS76's, Nikon FE2 and Leica M6 both take 2. They are getting scarce.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    I've had good results from sr44.com - and they are cheap (25 pack for $16.49 - with free US shipping, and cheap Canadian shipping):

http://www.sr44.com/

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 12-06-2007 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added price

Shooter
    Multi Format
    24hourbatteries has done right by me many a time.

http://www.24hrbatteries.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BTW: If anyone can tell me where I can get PX825 batteries (or a compatible) I'd be very grateful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stopped buying batteries in Toronto years back. One battery from Henry's or Radio Shack or anybody else would cost what 10 did on ebay. Worse they would often be covered in dust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin