Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 950

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is another thread on this topic started a few days ago.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the glorious days before digital - who would have even thought to concern themselves all that much about the discontinuance of a particular type of film or of a form of packaging?

Not every product discontinuance or marketing realignment is a catastrophe that portends the end of film. Sometimes, a wise manufacturer just gives the slow-movers the "heave ho".

I wonder how many of the folks here have even used Ektachrome 400X?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There is another thread on this topic started a few days ago.

PE
    Thanks for linking to it to help us find it :rolleyes:.

(For what it's worth, I did a search for Ektachrome 400X before starting this one and nothing popped up. If a mod would like to merge the threads though then please go ahead.)
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    In the glorious days before digital - who would have even thought to concern themselves all that much about the discontinuance of a particular type of film or of a form of packaging?
    I guess that would depend whether it was their favourite film being discontinued...
    Not every product discontinuance or marketing realignment is a catastrophe that portends the end of film.
    I'm sorry, I must have missed the post that said it was; perhaps you could point it out.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    How do stores sell individual rolls from pro-packs - they sell the rolls just in the foil?! Is that not against Kodak's policy?
    I have no idea about Kodak's policies on this; however, I know that some mail-order outfits in the US do this. In fact, just yesterday I got a foil-wrapped roll of Fuji 220 film from Freestyle. I've gotten 35mm film in plastic canisters (no box) from several different retailers -- probably Freestyle, Adorama, and B&H. Some of these outfits offer the same film for two prices, one in its own box and one pulled from a pro pack. (Some also offer "US market" vs "import" pricing, but that's another matter.)

My main problem with breaking film out of a larger package is that the retailers often neglect to put expiration dates on them. This omission isn't universal, but I've seen it happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I rechecked and it was Elite Chrome 400. My bad.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/4...ilability.html

If anyone cares.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I have no idea about Kodak's policies on this; however, I know that some mail-order outfits in the US do this. In fact, just yesterday I got a foil-wrapped roll of Fuji 220 film from Freestyle. I've gotten 35mm film in plastic canisters (no box) from several different retailers -- probably Freestyle, Adorama, and B&H. Some of these outfits offer the same film for two prices, one in its own box and one pulled from a pro pack. (Some also offer "US market" vs "import" pricing, but that's another matter.)

My main problem with breaking film out of a larger package is that the retailers often neglect to put expiration dates on them. This omission isn't universal, but I've seen it happen.
    My guess is that Kodak also recognizes that a heck of a lot of film is now moving through informal marketing channels such as eBay.

It's quite common to see listings for unpackaged cannister or foil-wrapped film offerings on eBay. So it's not surprising that Kodak would recognize that this "de-packaging" is going on in the internet marketplace and respond as they've done.

As to tim's query. Sorry if you think I was presumptuous, but the Product Availability forum is rarely used to announce new film types. And you did list a bunch of films that were NOT being discontinued under a thread title that would lead a casual reader would think otherwise.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kman627 View Post
    No more Plus-X in 120? Does this mean it's still available in a pro-pack or not at all?
    I surely hope that's what it means. I love Plus-X.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the general tone-deafness of the announcement that really makes you wonder about the marketers. Imagine the same announcement with this preamble:

"In light of the evolving market for distribution of film products, Kodak has recognized that many professional films that are distributed in propacks are sold by retailers as single rolls. In light of this practice, and in a continuing effort to reduce the environmental impact of packaging, the following films will no longer be distributed in single roll boxes. Likewise, in our continuing effort to support the traditional film user by streamlining production and reducing packaging costs to maintain the affordability of sheet films, the following box sizes will be eliminated."

Would anyone have blinked?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I take the foil wrapped Kodak rolls from the 5 packs, the date is stamped on the foil.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Sorry if you think I was presumptuous, but the Product Availability forum is rarely used to announce new film types. And you did list a bunch of films that were NOT being discontinued under a thread title that would lead a casual reader would think otherwise.
    I would expect nothing less; but you'll forgive me if I'm not going to start modifying my language to cater for casual readers with precious little grasp of English - who can't understand the infinite subtleties of the question mark, or feel that the word "discontinuation" has a silent "film" in front of it. The topic subject is 100% accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    It's the general tone-deafness of the announcement that really makes you wonder about the marketers. Imagine the same announcement with this preamble:

"In light of the evolving market for distribution of film products, Kodak has recognized that many professional films that are distributed in propacks are sold by retailers as single rolls. In light of this practice, and in a continuing effort to reduce the environmental impact of packaging, the following films will no longer be distributed in single roll boxes. Likewise, in our continuing effort to support the traditional film user by streamlining production and reducing packaging costs to maintain the affordability of sheet films, the following box sizes will be eliminated."

Would anyone have blinked?
    Nope, probably not. But Kodak's ability to shoot itself in the foot is rather impressive. As I say, I'm a Kodak defender by inclination, and I probably wouldn't have blinked anyway - except after the HIE debacle I'm afraid I've lost trust in the company. I didn't even realise it until I saw this announcement.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin