Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,088   Online: 908

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OFFICIAL - Film is not dead

I was amongst the most vociferous of those who condemned Jessops for going the way of a consumer electronics supplier but just take a look at their website now , not a satnav in sight and chemicals for sale , many to collect from store http://www.jessops.com/Products/Sear...=1-132-145-147.

Welcome back old friend , lets be honest this is as much proof as you're likely to need that commercial interests recognise that film still has a place in photography - money rarely follows dead products
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but I don't see any difference? The front page still has no hint AT ALL that film still exists.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see any difference? The front page still has no hint AT ALL that film still exists.
    Yes but if you click the A to Z Enlargers are mentioned and once you get in to the site there is a clickable tab on the left to access darkroom products.

They are not proselytising for film , the reality is that digital is THE mainstream medium but they have obviously realised that it's too big a market to ignore.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That isn't new. They have always had film and chems on their site, and for the past couple of years they have done a very good job of hiding it away from everyone except those prepared to do a little searching. Anyone else viewing that site would not know they sell film and chems.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Also if it is not on the shelf in front of you , we can order it for you sir, it will take 4 to 6 weeks. Yea film aint dead but we will make it bloody hard for you to buy it from us. I gave up a long time ago and went mail order, next day delivery in most cases and a lot cheaper even after the postage.

Just for fun go into your local J's and ask if they have any ferricyanide stand back and watch the fun.

Regards Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    It would seem that Jessops have adopted a form of just-in-time stocking policy. You order the product online and specify the branch you want to collect it from and then collect it, I think they say, the next day depending on the order time. I haven't tried it but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Most branches won't stock much stuff on the shelves. These days, if they did they might never sell it before it's shelf life expired and /or they don't have the space.

I think this does represent a change of heart and last time I was in the Northampton branch the staff were receptive to "analogue" and were keen to explain and promote this just in time order system.

Of course if you live close enough you can pop into Nova or Silverprint or a number of other mail order places and collect on the spot altough some will only deal by mail order but for the vast majority of customers who don't live close to such places, the Jessops system is a viable alternative. There's going to be few places nowadays where you can run out of say paper etc at 4:00pm and expect to pick it up from a photographic store before it closes at 5:30pm.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Also if it is not on the shelf in front of you , we can order it for you sir, it will take 4 to 6 weeks. Yea film aint dead but we will make it bloody hard for you to buy it from us. I gave up a long time ago and went mail order, next day delivery in most cases and a lot cheaper even after the postage.

Just for fun go into your local J's and ask if they have any ferricyanide stand back and watch the fun.

Regards Paul.
    Your point is made BUT why should they go out of their way to pander for the small minority of users that prefer film , that's sheer economics. I suspect any Jessops never had a huge demand for ferricyanide at any time so that is a slightly disingenuous example. Why can't we celebrate the fact that they still stock stuff which it seemed would disappear 12 months ago. We need to face the fact that for most users film IS dead we use it but for most consumer level photographers and many professionals the only image capture medium is now digital

The fact that Jessops have had a small change of heart shows that we are a reasonably sized minority. I know now that I can order MG developer online and go and collect it from my local store within a couple of days, as fast as mail order and saves on postage - that can only be good news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BUT... for most users film is ONLY dead because it is no longer obviously sold on the high street. And that is the fault of the retailer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    BUT... for most users film is ONLY dead because it is no longer obviously sold on the high street. And that is the fault of the retailer.
    I disagree 'film is dead' because a newer, more convenient and more profitable (for the manufacturers) capture medium is available which has had an awful lot of advertising investment ploughed into it. Canon have all but given up on film cameras because they know that they can release a new digicam every six months and people will buy it. The word 'digital' has become synonymous with 'quality' for most people and given the consumer driven culture of society that will be the case until the next big change. Instamatics were cheap and cheerful, no one would seriously use them for qulaity work but they sold in millions- they are now deader than a Dodo. Digicams will eventually suffer the same fate !

Shooter
    35mm
    I stopped into a CVS (large American chain) pharmacy in Columbus, OH last week while on holiday, and was perusing their cameras and film selections. They even had some APS film in stock - what are the odds of that happening??? When any Joe (or Jane) Nobody can walk in and buy some APS or 35mm film, I'm a thinkin' the talk of film photography being dead are to say the least a little premature.

That being said, analog photos are certainly on the decline, with digital being on the upside. This is a fact of life, so get used to it. No amount of whining, complaining, belly-aching, cursing, etc. will change it. The calendar is ready to turn to 2008 and we live in a money grubbing world more than ever. Whether you think of the capitalist camera/film/etc companies as evil or honorable, the only thing they understand is the dollar (or pound/franc/euro/peso/etc) signs lighting up in their eyes when they scan the sales reports and such.

Oh, and by the way, dont buy any gas this coming Wednesday, as we are trying to bring the evil oil companies to their knees...

I hope this helps you.

paulie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin